I want to remove my site from the current host. Will my ssl get cancelled?

I need to temporarily change the servers (to a new hosting account) until I build the full site. Will be back in the same (current) server after building the full website.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Linux Ubuntu

My hosting provideris:AWS lightsail

SSH accessible and I installed Let's encrypt through ssh.
Thanks for any help.

1 Like

SSL certificates can't be "cancelled". They can be revoked, but that doesn't happen just like that: for Let's Encrypt to revoke your certificate, something very serious must be wrong. Like a serious incident. Changing servers isn't one of them. On the other hand, the subscriber him/herself can revoke a certificate, but that's a manual process which is almost never necessary (mostly if your private key has been leaked and isn't private any longer).

So no, your certificate won't be cancelled, just because you change host. Due not that the private key, if transfered from host A to host B, should be transfered privately. You can use scp which uses SSH, or you can just copy/paste the contents of the private key from SSH terminal A to SSH terminal B. SSH should be private after all. Just make sure you clear your clipboard afterwards.

2 Likes

You could easier just get a new cert at the new host.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot guys. I think I have the answer there. Really appreciate it.
My situation is actually this:
I bought a domain name from namesilo and bought hosting from AWS lightsail. Then I installed the LE SSL.
Then I realized that I should better build the website before going live, and setting up a staging is really difficult and complex for me. So I decided to remove the domain from the instance and build the site first.
Until then I will create another instance and create a parking page in there.
After building the site on the current instance I will direct the domain in to it.

2 Likes

Your certificate is only valid for the hostnames included in the certificate. If you have a different domain name/hostname for your staging instance, you wouldn't be able to use your certificate for that anyway, as the hostnames wouldn't match.

2 Likes

@ [Osiris] Can you please explain this a little bit? I'm hosting the site on AWS lightsail, and the staging instance is also on the same account. Just a new WP instance. So when I remove the domain that's only from instance1. And I attach it to instance2. Then is the same SSL valid because it's with same host although 2 different instances? Or each instance is identified as a different host?
Thanks for taking time to answer me. I'm really grateful for that..

1 Like

@dapokerista Certificates only care about hostnames. They, just as I am, are completely agnostic about instances.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.