I want to get an ssl certificate for my filezilla ftp server

I just started tinkering with ftp servers and know just the basics. Is it possible to just get a certificate for a basic ftp server or am I out of luck?

1 Like

Yes.

Although personally I believe FTP and even secure FTP are deprecated. Personally, I'm more a fan of SSH File Transfer Protocol - Wikipedia

3 Likes

Are there any programs you could suggest to me or can I host it with filezilla server 1.1.0?

1 Like

I'm not sure what you're asking. About the certificate for FTP or for SSH FTP?

Also, about specific questions about Filezille, I'd have to look into the Filezilla documentation too, so I'd recommend you to do that.

4 Likes

I am referring to hosting an SSH FTP server on FileZilla.
Also, how would I go about obtaining an SSL certificate for an SSH FTP server?

1 Like

From the FileZilla Wiki (FileZilla FTP Server - FileZilla Wiki):

Support for SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) is not implemented in Filezilla Server.

SFTP (SSH File Transfer Protocol) does not use TLS certificates and thus is not really the scope of this Community.

You can read more about SFTP on numerous websites, such as SSH File Transfer Protocol (SFTP): Secure File Transfer Protocol

If you still would like to implement FTPS (so the older, legacy protocol but now with TLS), you can get a Let's Encrypt certificate for the hostname of your server using one of the many ACME clients and install it into FileZilla. See Getting Started - Let's Encrypt for more info, although it's mainly targeted for websites. But that doesn't really matter, as TLS certificates are not for websites specific, but can also be used for other things, such as mailservers and FTP servers.

4 Likes

Thanks man, you've really helped me

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.