I am confused plus need help

my certbot is showing this error how do I get into it,
ubuntu@ip-172-31-16-249:~$ sudo certbot --nginx
Another instance of Certbot is already running.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /tmp/tmp7vete7iy/log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

Is the log file /tmp/tmp7vete7iy/log still available? And if yes, what's the content?

If not, could you please run Certbot again with the -v command extra and post the output here?

If you post any output on the Community, please put three backticks (i.e.: ```) above and below the output so it can be read more easily.

5 Likes

Hi @agbokpo, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Is this a shared system?
Have you tried rebooting?

3 Likes

You could sometimes be unlucky with an automated renewal process because, when not run from an interactive terminal, it waits a while before running renewal attempts in order to help randomize the time of the renewal attempts.

That's a very uncommon problem to have but is possible in principle. In that case, you should be able to succeed an hour or two later.

You can research the problem more with the ps command (e.g. ps aux or ps afx) to see what the other Certbot command is and how it was started (e.g. interactively or non-interactively).

5 Likes

please teach me how to reboot it.

1 Like

rebooting is easy. but you should check if other people are using the machine.

run

who

and see if there's other people that are not you.

if not, run

sudo systemctl reboot

this will disconnect you, but you should be able to reconnect in a minute or so, if your sshd is properly configured.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.