How to Renew a Let's Encrypt

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: dso.dev

I ran this command: I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

It produced this output: I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

My web server is (include version): I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): I keep getting notices that my cert will expire but shows me no way on how to renew…

Hey, did you get any notices?
About renewing?
LOL

OK so you got a notice, or twelve, is your site cert actually expired?
Or about to expire?
Have you somehow issued a bunch of certs for that same domain name?

1 Like

Could you please answer some of the other questions that were asked?

The procedure for renewing a certificate depends on the hosting environment of your domain, and how you got the certificate originally.

That said, your site seems to use a Sectigo SSL certificate right now, which expires 1 year from now. So you may not need a Let's Encrypt certificate at all, and you can ignore the expiry notice.

1 Like

Thank you Rudy.

No, it’s not expired yet, but you would think that an email that tells you it’s going to expire would give you a link to renew?
Wouldn’t that be better for business, the calling, and everybody involved?

Or, at least put a “login here” to renew link?
Where do I go to login and renew?

Regards,

Where do I go to login and renew? Shouldn’t the renewal notice at least include that information?

Regards,

The typical way to use Let’s Encrypt is that you install a piece of software (like https://certbot.eff.org/) on your server, and it automatically renews the certificate for you, every 60 days.

That’s why the questions in the initial post are important.

There is no interface to login to, because the process is supposed to be completely automatic, without human intervention.

2 Likes

That's not how it works here.

Are you sure your notice even came from LetsEncrypt?
Can you share one of them?

No, because there are many, MANY ways and setups to get/manage certificates which can't all be included in such an e-mail. @_az already noticed that the procedure for renewing is dependend on many factors.

You can't "login" to Let's Encrypt. Perhaps you can login into your configuration panel, if you have one. Unfortunately, you just copy/pasted the same sentence over and over again in the questionnaire, in stead of actually answering the question. (Where "I don't know" is also an answer...)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.