How to install wildcard ssl for my wpengine multisite install

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: ditwebs.com

I ran this command: don’t know how to run commands -sorry?

It produced this output: nothing ?

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: wpengine

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): i don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): ?

I need to somehow create a wildcard ssl cert so i can import it into wpengine for my multisite subdomain install…

Unfortunately "running commands" is the only way to get a wildcard certificate right now.

If you're not comfortable doing that then you might want to wait a couple weeks for the web-based certificate tools to catch up with wildcard support:

You could also contact WPEngine and see if they have any plans to extend their existing Let's Encrypt support to allow for the new wildcard certificates.

yup - for now I will use their 1 site at a time free ssl with lets encrypt… Seems commands would be a simple copy and paste type process - if i’m not mistaken and if so then where can i copy and paste them?

Apparently WPEngine doesn’t have an automated way of updating SSL certificates; you actually have to contact their support. So some action on your part every 2-3 months would be required of you were to use a Let’s Encrypt certitificate you get yourself. If you can enumerate all the domains and let WPEngine handle that I’d strongly suggest you do so, because then you only have to deal with it once. :grinning:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.