Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.
My domain is: I have an angular app (domain = scoutgames.online) which uses websockets to contact a backend server which is running on a different server (linode instance 188.8.131.52 on port 3000).
I ran this command: N/A
It produced this output: N/A
My web server is (include version): it’s a python3 script running on a linode instance:
start_server = websockets.serve(server.ws_handler, 184.108.40.206, 3000, ssl=ssl_context)
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Godaddy for the angular app and a linode instance for the websocket server.
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): cPanel on the GoDaddy server. Direct root access on the linode server.
The version of my client is (e.g. output of
certbot --version or
certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): 0.40.0
I’m out of my depth at the moment and would appreciate some help. I had this working fine on HTTP but when I changed to HTTPS, I ran in to problems.
I was able to create an SSL certificate for the GoDaddy server using ZeroSSL and change the websocket to use wss: instead of ws:. So far so good. I also changed the python server script on the linode to include ssl_context.
The response I got on the browser is “Can’t connect to server” and the console shows SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN so I can see there is a problem at the server end. As an experiment I created a self signed certificate and then the browser message changed to be MOZILLA_PKIX_ERROR_SELF_SIGNED_CERT which is sensible.
The python websocket server on linode therefore seems to be working but the certificate is incorrect. I am stuck trying to work out how to generate a suitable certificate for the python websocket server since it’s not on a specific domain, it’s just an IP address which the angular app can connect to.
If anyone can tell me where I’m going wrong that would be great.