Problem generating a certificate

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
www.frogtoprincejs.io

My web server is (include version):
node.js

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
macOS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
domain name provided by godaddy, server runs on my personal laptop

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

certbot version: 1.0.0

I bought myself a domain and forwarded it to my laptop that is running a website on port 80. I don’t have port 443 open yet will open when I get it? Can I get a certificate? Because for some reason I am not able to. Do I need a dedicated private server from a host provider? If so how come I can’t get it for my laptop that is connected to the DNS that I do own? Basically

I want to know if I can get a certificate with the setup I have for myself? If I can then it must be an issue with my server. Also godaddy does redirect it to my ipaddress and if I choose the mask option to use the domain name for all resources it adds unneeded code to my page.

1 Like

That may depend on how:

was done.

Ok, let's check...
It doesn't appear that your "forwarding" is working.
The IP for frogtoprincejs.io and www.frogtoprincejs.io is 184.168.131.241 [a GoDaddy IP - not the one from your LAPTOP].
You probably need to use a CNAME that "points" to your laptop's current IP via some DDNS service provider - that is, unless, your laptop is using a static IP (that does not change).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.