Getting error as NXDOMAIN looking up A for

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: sonar.girmiti.com

I ran this command:./certbot-auto --apache

It produced this output:Failed authorization procedure. www.sonar.girmiti.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for www.sonar.girmiti.com
Log which I am getting:
2018-07-17 22:29:00,266:DEBUG:certbot.error_handler:Calling registered functions
2018-07-17 22:29:00,266:INFO:certbot.auth_handler:Cleaning up challenges
2018-07-17 22:29:00,757:DEBUG:certbot.log:Exiting abnormally:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/bin/letsencrypt”, line 11, in
load_entry_point(‘letsencrypt==0.7.0’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘letsencrypt’)()
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 1364, in main
return config.func(config, plugins)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 1124, in run
certname, lineage)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/main.py”, line 120, in _get_and_save_cert
lineage = le_client.obtain_and_enroll_certificate(domains, certname)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 391, in obtain_and_enroll_certificate
cert, chain, key, _ = self.obtain_certificate(domains)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 334, in obtain_certificate
orderr = self._get_order_and_authorizations(csr.data, self.config.allow_subset_of_names)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/client.py”, line 370, in _get_order_and_authorizations
authzr = self.auth_handler.handle_authorizations(orderr, best_effort)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 82, in handle_authorizations
self._respond(aauthzrs, resp, best_effort)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 155, in _respond
self._poll_challenges(aauthzrs, chall_update, best_effort)
File “/opt/eff.org/certbot/venv/lib64/python3.4/site-packages/certbot/auth_handler.py”, line 226, in _poll_challenges
raise errors.FailedChallenges(all_failed_achalls)
certbot.errors.FailedChallenges: Failed authorization procedure. www.sonar.girmiti.com (http-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for www.sonar.girmiti.com

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):CentOS release 6.10 (Final)

Please try to sort it out.It’s emergency.

Hi @kranthi_851,

These names sonar.girmiti.com and www.sonar.girmiti.com really don’t exist in DNS. Could they be private or internal names? You can only use --apache to issue certificates for hostnames that are publicly visible in DNS.

1 Like

You don't have published DNS records for www.sonar.girmiti.com, so you won't be able to get a cert for that name until you do.

If I execute the ./certbot --apache, i am getting this error.
-bash: ./certbot: No such file or directory

Could you please suggest me to solve this,since I am for the first time i am generating. Please explain me a step to step.I kindly request you.

Your problem has nothing to do with Certbot or Let’s Encrypt. In order to have a site available under a particular name, that name has to be published in the Domain Name System so that, when other computers on the Internet ask about it, they receive its IP address. This is the responsibility of whoever manages DNS settings for the domain girmiti.com and must be done first before you begin trying to get a certificate. Currently the name sonar.girmiti.com does not exist at all and does not point to any particular server’s IP address.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.