Ok, my setup might be a little complex due to the servers I have setup. I will TLDR; as much as I can.
- I have a domain registered in name.com
- My TLD is forwarded to some landing page hosted by about.me
- I have a subdomain called home.TLD which points to my ISPs public IP provided to me
- I have a container (lets call this SSL termination container) running this: https://hub.docker.com/r/danieldent/nginx-ssl-proxy/ which has the local IP 192.168.254.165 which is listening to 11080 (for acme http verification) and 11443 which is then forwarded to another container (which I need the SSL for)
- In short, the container serves as my SSL termination for services inside my network
- In name.com, I have the ability to create forwards. Ive created sslstream.TLD to forward to home.TLD:11080 (this way this could reach my home IP with a specific port)
- In my router I have set to forward 11080 from the outside to the IP running the container 192.168.254.165:11080
- The Docker image lets you specify a domain to generate a certificate for, so i’ve set sslstream.TLD
So all in all
sslstream.TLD — (via url forwarding) —> home.TLD:11080 — (via port forwarding) —> 192.168.254.165:11080 ----> SSL termination container
My problem is, its not reaching it. I dont know if ACME challenge hates URL forwards or cant/wont do forwards or if its the container which is misconfigured.