Can a forwarded domain have an SSL

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: joyhealey.live

I ran this command: Forwarded the domain at GoDaddy

It produced this output: I can see the site but it got rejected elsewhere

My web server is (include version): No website, just forwarding

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): none

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: No hosting. Domain is with GoDaddy

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): no

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): sorry no idea

1 Like

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Joy :slightly_smiling_face:

GoDaddy's domain forwarding service should generally be avoided at all costs, especially where SSL certificates are concerned, because the GoDaddy forwarding server acts as a "middle man" that serves its own (Starfield) certificate.

The best thing to do is remove the forwarding, wait a bit for your DNS A record to change back (probably to the parked server), then remove your A record and add a CNAME record from your domain name to the destination domain name. You will need to be sure that the webserver at the destination handles requests properly from your CNAMEd domain name.

If any of this is unclear, just ask. We're here to help.

3 Likes

I don't know anything about GoDaddy's domain forwarding system.

An easy option for people who want a service to do a HTTPS forward for their registered domain onto another domain, is to use Cloudflare. Their free account tier offers 3 "Page Rules", and one can just create a "Page Rule" to forward requests for "Domain A" to "Example-dot-com" or wherever.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.