Failed to get SSL in Virtualmin

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: itcusys.online

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator manual, Installer None
Obtaining a new certificate
Performing the following challenges:
dns-01 challenge for itcusys.online
dns-01 challenge for itcusys.online
Waiting for verification...
Cleaning up challenges
Failed authorization procedure. itcusys.online (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.itcusys.online - check that a DNS record exists for this domain, itcusys.online (dns-01): urn:ietf:params:acme:error:dns :: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for _acme-challenge.itcusys.online - check that a DNS record exists for this domain
IMPORTANT NOTES:

• The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: itcusys.online
    Type: None
    Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for
    _acme-challenge.itcusys.online - check that a DNS record exists for
    this domain

Domain: itcusys.online
    Type: None
    Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up TXT for
    _acme-challenge.itcusys.online - check that a DNS record exists for
    this domain

My web server is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04 64bit with Webmin/Virtualmin/LAMP

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04 64bit with Webmin/Virtualmin/LAMP

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Hostinger

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): Webmin/Virtualmin

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

My first guess is that if you un-check the "also request wildcard cert" it might work.

A wildcard cert requires a DNS Challenge. I see from the output messages that it is using a manual method which means you must add the TXT records with the correct values yourself. And, you did not do that. This manual method also means you will not be able to automate the renewal of certs which expire after 90 days and should be renewed after 60.

I don't know how you do all that in Hostinger's VirtualMin. Maybe hostinger can help you?
Your DNS name servers are at dns-parking.com so I don't see how that can work. Unless that's a hostinger system in which case you should ask them about it.

3 Likes

Is the site being hosted [OR just parked]?

nslookup -q=ns itcusys.online
itcusys.online  nameserver = ns1.dns-parking.com
itcusys.online  nameserver = ns2.dns-parking.com
2 Likes

Thanks I found the solution to my problem there are some misconfiguration on my end.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.