Failed Rate Limit

I was trying to create a new certificate for a website we began hosting this morning. www.stockxbank.com

I didn't realize there was any kind of rate limit and so after moving the DNS, I just kept trying to create the certificate. I ran into the limit : too many failed authorizations recently. I have looked at the documentation, but I am not clear on when this will be reset.
The documentation has this sentence in it: If you’ve hit a rate limit, we don’t have a way to temporarily reset it. You’ll need to wait until the rate limit expires after a week..

Does that mean I have to wait a week before I can create a new certificate again?

No. It isn't mentioned very clear in the text of the "Overrides" section, but that section talks about the rate limits pertaining the certificate related rate limits, such as the "Certificates per Registered Domain" and "Duplicate Certificate" rate limits, which are per week.

However, you have a different rate limit pertaining to authorizations, which is explained in this section:

There is a Failed Validation limit of 5 failures per account, per hostname, per hour. This limit is higher on our staging environment, so you can use that environment to debug connectivity problems. Exceeding the Failed Validations limit is reported with the error message too many failed authorizations recently.

Did you read that section? If not, you could have found it by either reading very everything very closely or searching for the literal error message you got. If you actually did read that part, I'm curious why it isn't clear when the rate limit will be reset, apart from the confusion mentioned above. It's clearly stated in the section I quoted above, in my opinion.

1 Like

I did read all that and thought initially that it would be reset in an hour, but then wasn't sure and was just looking for some confirmation. Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

Probably confused by the as earlier stated unfortunate confusing "Overrides" section. Well, it's an hour indeed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.