I started receiving this error: “Error retrieving account error”. This has been working for at least a year.
Any help that can be provided would be appreciated.
My domain is: rs411.rsstores2.net
I ran this command: Using Plesk Let’s Encrypt Extension, renewed domain with new alias added.
It produced this output: Invalid response from https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/authz-v3/6487897451.
Detail: Error retrieving account “https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/acct/58140932”
My web server is (include version): IIS Ver 10.0.14393.0
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Windows Server 2016 Standard Ver 1607
My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Managed.com
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes
I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Plesk Onyx Version 17.8.11
The version of my client is (e.g. output of
certbot --version or
certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Plesk Extension, Let’s Encrypt Version 2.11.1-640