Error: Must agree to subscriber agreement before any further actions

We are a webhosting company. Today we realized the following error in CPanel > SSL/TLS Status on one of our servers.
What’s causing the issue? We were using Letsencrypt for years without any issues.

An error occurred the last time AutoSSL ran, on April 26, 2019:

MASTER DCV: The ACME function “https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-authz” indicated an error: “Must agree to subscriber agreement before any further actions (The client lacks sufficient authorization)” (403, “Forbidden”, urn:acme:error:unauthorized). Cpanel::Exception::ACME::Protocol/(XID qfvzbj) The ACME function “https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-authz” indicated an error: “Must agree to subscriber agreement before any further actions (The client lacks sufficient authorization)” (403, “Forbidden”, urn:acme:error:unauthorized).

Hi @jdeker,

Do you have a support contract with CPanel? It sounds like your CPanel AutoSSL is in a weird state where it has perhaps created a new account without agreeing to the terms of service.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with AutoSSL to suggest a remedy. Perhaps someone else in-forum is?

Hi @cpu ,
Thanks for the reply.
We purchased our licenses from datacenter so we do not have direct support contract with cpanel.
I thought Letsencrypt is not related to AutoSSL and works separately. Isn’t it?
Does reinstalling Letsencrypt help?

Let's Encrypt is an independent service which can be used in many different ways—it provides a public API which is free of charge to use. AutoSSL is one software implementation from cPanel that uses the Let's Encrypt API.

You don't necessarily have to use AutoSSL to get Let's Encrypt certificates, but if you don't use it, you'll need to use some other Let's Encrypt client software instead.

1 Like

I'm not sure. If you don't have any other ideas it probably wouldn't hurt :sweat_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.