Error autorenewal expired certificate

My site has been moved to another server and a new certificate has been installed with expiration date 27-01-2019.
I still keeps daily mails with a renewal error of the old certificate. How can i get prevent this autorenewal try.

My domain is: www.mijnbridgeclub.nl

I ran this command:

It produced this output:
Let’s Encrypt SSL Renewal Information
Hello Koos,

Please, find below details of your SSL certificate renewal.

Common name SANs (if any) Expiration Date (before renewal) Status of renewal
www.mijnbridgeclub.nl www.mijnbridgeclub.nl 27-8-2018 14:24:42 Failure: LETS_ENCRYPT_INSTALL:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.; at MSPControl.EnterpriseServer.WebServerController.t9REGMFh5QQk9sxlLFcu(Object ) at MSPControl.EnterpriseServer.WebServerController.RenewLetsEncryptCertificate(SSLCertificate certificate)
If you have any questions regarding your hosting account, feel free to contact our support department at any time.

Best regards

My web server is (include version):IIS/8.5

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):windows server 2012 r2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Mijn Hosting Partner.nl

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I don’t know

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): yes, MSPcontrol 2018

Hi @Koos

this isn't a Letscencrypt - mail. That may be your hoster.

If you have a Letsencrypt certificate max. 20 days valide, Letsencrypt sends a notification. Same if the certificate is max. 10 days valide.

But your certificate is much older.

Looks like you have used a tool with an error. This

is a typical .NET - error.

Perhaps check (if possible) your Machine.Webhosting certificate store to find this certificate. Then remove it.

Or check if you can use this MSPcontrol 2018 to remove this certificate.

Thank you very much.

I wil inform my hoster so they can search for the certificate to remove it.

Best Regards,

Koos

1 Like

Hi Juergen,
Mijnhostingpartner.nl have searched their databases and couldn’t find anything with regard to this certificate. They even removed the complete vault on the server where my website was first published. For my other websites everything goes the way it should be. But in this case it is a certificate that has never been renewed or removed. Is it possible that Let’s Encrypt sends a notification to Mijnhostingpartner (before the autorenewal I always get a notification on my own email adress) to start a renewal process but because there is no certificate anymore it results in this failure for which I then get notified? It is not the problem with the mails as I can delete these. But I have seen that it also interferes with the autorenewal of the valid certificate. I hope you can clarify it.
Best regards,
Koos

Letsencrypt sends a mail to the account, if the certificate isn't renewed. But this mail is completely different. My last (from the staging system):

Hello,

[ Note: This message is from the Let's Encrypt staging environment. It
likely is not relevant to any live web site. ]

You issued a testing cert (not a live one) from Let's Encrypt staging
environment. This mail takes the place of what would normally be a renewal
reminder, but instead is demonstrating delivery of renewal notices. Have a
nice day!

We recommend renewing certificates automatically when they have a third of
their total lifetime left. For Let's Encrypt's current 90-day
certificates, that means renewing 30 days before expiration. See
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/integration-guide/ for details.

Details:

This

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.; at 
MSPControl.EnterpriseServer.WebServerController.t9REGMFh5QQk9sxlLFcu(Object ) at 
MSPControl.EnterpriseServer.WebServerController.RenewLetsEncryptCertificate(SSLCertificate certificate)

is a typical .NET-error. But if you don't use this tool, then ignore the mail.

Juergen,
OK. That’s the same kind of notification that I also got before and when I received it, I renewed the certificate.
But now there is a autorenewal script running so I myself don’t get these mails anymore. Instead, mijnhostingpartner is notified.
It is obvious that the mails I now daily receive come from mijnhostingpartner. But they say that there is nothing on their servers that explains the generation of these mails. So I cannot understand what is happening.
I will try to ignore the mails and see what happens when the current valid certicate has to be renewed.
Thanks,
Koos

1 Like

Check the header of these mails. There are the ip addresses the mail was sent.

Hi there,

I moved from mijnhostingpartner as well and also get the same e-mail reminder and unsuccesful renewal of the LE SSL certificate.

“Failure: LETS_ENCRYPT_INSTALL:Object reference not set to an instance of an object.; at MSPControl.EnterpriseServer.WebServerController.t9REGMFh5QQk9sxlLFcu(Object ) at MSPControl.EnterpriseServer.WebServerController.RenewLetsEncryptCertificate(SSLCertificate certificate)”

Ryan,
Do you still receive these mails (and since when) or has it already stopped?
Koos

@Koos

Unfortunately I am still getting these e-mails. MHP says the e-mails are not send by them
so I am confused and have no idea how I can stop these e-mails.

Note: the sender of the e-mails is “noreply@mijnhostingpartner.nl”

Check the list of ip addresses. Then use a tool like http://www.utrace.de/ to find these ip addresses.

Or use

nslookup ip-address

to see if it is a server of your provider.

I don't see any possibility that they are sent by Let's Encrypt. The Let's Encrypt expiry notices are always sent by Let's Encrypt Expiry Bot <expiry@letsencrypt.org>.

I would think that they are sent either by mijnhostingpartner or by some other technology company that they have purchased some kind of hosting-related technology from.

That is right, but they received the message from A2B
Message-Id: 20181111035914.1.096DC708C56E6902@mijnhostingpartner.nl
Received: from DNP004 (130-155-249-178.a2b-internet.com [178.249.155.130])

So I contacted MHP and they mentioned that this server was one of their own. However, it's a server that doesn't take action unless it is triggered ( In this case by Let's Encrypt? ). They promissed to try to contact Let's Encrypt concerning this issue.

Is this really the message? With exactly the same objectcode as mine?

Yes correct Koos. I just copied it from the content of the e-mail I recieve every day now.

Strange that we have exactly the same object that needs? renewal.
For me it has been quiet for a couple of days so I thought it was solved, but now the mails have return on a daily basis. I give up. It seems to be nobody’s fault. Probably, a alien activity. From now I will automatically send the mails to my spam box.
Discussion closed.

I got as advice from MyHostingPartner to tag the e-mails I get from them in regards to LE renewals as spam.

Not really a solution is it…

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.