DNS Query Time Outs Mean Certificates Cannot Be Issued

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: business.wongowin.com

I ran this command: sudo letsencrypt certonly -a webroot --webroot-path=/var/validator/public -d business.wongowin.com, in public, we create the folder /.web-root/acm

It produced this output: Cleaning up challenges
Failed authorization procedure. business.wongowin.com (http-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: DNS problem: query timed out looking up A for business.wongowin.com.

My operating system is (include version): ubuntu 16.04

My web server is (include version): nginx latest version

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no.

I follow a guide made by digitalOcean, also try some methods to verify this. I use a web version https://zerossl.com and certbot and in both got the same error.

Hi @Fvel,

I also got a DNS error when trying to look this up myself.

$ host business.wongowin.com business.wongowin.com has address 34.205.207.111 ;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached Host business.wongowin.com not found: 2(SERVFAIL)

Could you check that your DNS service is working all right?

It seems that out of 2 NS servers ns1.servidorcloud.me and ns2.servidorcloud.me for wongowin.com, only the former is operational. At least that’s how it looks from my location. From a third-party service it looks resolvable though. Tests indicate a few issues though for wongowin in general:

1 Like

Hi @Fvel

A working DNS is essential for CAs like LetsEncrypt to be able to perform validation.

No matter the client you used you need to be able to reach the domains you are trying to get certificates for via Public DNS.

looks like DNS has been fixed

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.