Discussion and addition requests for hosting provider list

Hi all,

Three things I'd like to discuss:

2 Likes

It looks to me like the last time this thread was discussed in a meta-way was back in September 2020 when @jvanasco proposed that this thread be archived or removed because its existence mostly consisted of requests to be added to the wiki/list. It also looks like the only person who is actively looking at this thread and adding people to the wiki is @sahsanu; bless you for taking on this burden! (If that's not the case, I'm sorry for misreading.)

From a new community member's perspective, I can think of a few situations for why someone would want to know where this list is.

• I do not yet have a webhost and I am looking for one where I would be able to get a free LE cert as part of the webhosting plan without having to install an additional client.
  • I do not yet have a webhost and I am looking for one where I would be able to get a free LE cert if I did a little bit of extra work in installing a client.
  • I have a webhost and used to pay a lot of money for the type of cert that LE issues and I want to switch to one where either with no effort from me or a little effort on my part I want to use a free LE cert from now on.
  • I'm a web hosting provider who is either now fully integrated into providing free LE certs or I just added it to my list of services and I want to be included in this list.
  • I know of a web hosting provider who provides LE certs (see rest of thought above).
  • Other use cases which I'm not currently aware of; please help educate me on them

Based on the examples I can currently think of, I think that it would be useful to link this thread to those areas of the current documentation which talk about these kinds of situations. For example, if there were an item in the Glossary describing what a web hosting provider is, then there could be a line that says "For a list of hosting providers which currently support Let's Encrypt certificate installation, please click here" or however the LE staff would phrase it.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Hi all :wave: - amazing list :blush:

Would like to add ddvu which specializes on docker container hosting in a shared environment. HTTPS is actually enforced on all packages out-of-the-box (eg free). Thanks to the power of letsencrypt :bowing_woman:

2 Likes

Hi. My company ZebraHost supports Let's Encrypt across all our cloud solutions (web hosting, VPS, dedicated cloud). We install and maintain let's encrypt for the client. There is no manual work on their end.

We have been in the cloud business over the last 20 years serving happy clients (some of which have been with us all 20 years). We mostly cater to developers looking to host web applications and databases like MySQL, MariaDB, etc.

We have been recommending Let's Encrypt to as many clients as possible. We love how it auto-renews and makes hosting more affordable for our clients.

Please add us to the list. If there is anything else you need to know about us let me know.

1 Like

Hello,

I've been using swhosting as my domain registrar and web host. They are based in Spain (Girona). They include Let's Encrypt with even their free plans. They have automated it completely: I just have to slide a toggle to add it as a service to my domains.

https://www.swhosting.com/en

Cheers!

3 Likes

Porkbun proudly advertises that they use Let's Encrypt. Might want to add them

2 Likes

20i (www.20i.com), we offer Let's Encrypt free for all our hosting customers.

Product info: Web hosting optional extras: SSLs, domains and backups | 20i
Blog post: https://www.20i.com/blog/why-i-love-lets-encrypt/
Support article: Activate your free SSL certificate with 20i hosting | 20i

3 Likes

Hello,

First of all, I'm so sorry for the delay.

@ddvu your site dd.vu isn't available so I'm not adding it to the list.

@zebrahost your site ZebraHost has been added to the list with a comment explaining you install and manage the certificates and it costs $30 per year.

@MadRobin site swhosting has been added to the list with a comment explaining Let's Encrypt certificates can be used only if you host your DNS with them.

@Litbelb site Porkbun has been added to the list.

@hostedby20i your site 20i has been added to the list.

Cheers,
sahsanu

5 Likes

I was thinking that @griffin's CertSage might be relevant to mention in the "No Planned Support" section, because it's a concrete thing that can help some people in that situation. Right now that section just says

NOTE: it may still possible to obtain and install Let's Encrypt certificates with these providers, but it will require manually installing your own client or using a third-party website, and your hosting provider will not provide support for doing so.

but it doesn't explain what that might consist of...

I know the overall point is that people should prefer the use of providers and tools with better automation, so there is not supposed to be a recommendation to use a host with poor or nonexistent Let's Encrypt support. But it still might be nice to give people who happen to find their providers in the "No Planned Support" section a next step other than just switching web hosts!

On the other hand, mentioning one single client might be kind of weird and not entirely appropriate.

Could we consider writing something more concrete about "manually installing your own client" in this section, and either mention CertSage or link to the Let's Encrypt list of clients or something? (CertSage isn't listed there yet, but maybe it should be!)

7 Likes

WPMUDEV Hosting installs Let's Encrypt certificate for all the sites by default and force Redirect HTTP->HTTPS by Default.
https://wpmudev.com/docs/hosting/wpmu-dev-ssl/

2 Likes

Hello @ethicaladitya,

WPMUDEV Hosting has been added to the list.

This is totally off-topic but in this page WPMU DEV SSL | WPMU DEV you recommend the use of csrgenerator to generate a csr:

Certificate providers, typically, have tools or will assist with generating the CSR. Alternatively, you can use a free service like csrgenerator.com .

csrgenerator doesn't support SAN so it is not very useful today so IMHO you should recommend something like CSR Generator it is a free site, provides a simple interface and it allows SAN in the CSR. They have another tool https://certificatetools.com/ to generate CSR but maybe it is too powerful and intimidating for average users so the first one I've recommended could fit very well your user's needs.

Cheers,
sahsanu

3 Likes

Thanks @sahsanu for the listing. Thank you for pointing that out, i have passed that to the docs team to update.

One thing, that since WPMUDEV force http -> https redirect and doesn't allow sites to operate on http anyway, it should be listed in the above section Providers that Automatically Enable Let's Encrypt and Redirect HTTP->HTTPS by Default: instead of current Web Hosting Providers with Let's Encrypt Support:?

4 Likes

You are right, I've fixed it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, it looks like TSO Host should potentially be removed from the list:

4 Likes

Hi @schoen,

Thanks for the heads up.

I didn't remove it because they still "support" manually adding a Let's Encrypt certificate but I've added this comment for Tsohost (Manual action needed) .

Cheers,
sahsanu

7 Likes

HostPress

One of the leading German WordPress Hosting Providers.
We also support Let's Encrypt since day 1. Thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I'm thinking that if we're able to properly brainstorm effective verbiage for this document request, then that document could flow better into the creation of a "How do I manually install an LE cert for my domain?" document which could be linked to the "No Planned Support" section of the list.

2 Likes

Hello @hostpress,

Sorry for the delay. I've added HostPress to the list.

Cheers,
sahsanu

7 Likes

Thanks alot Sahsanu!

Cheers :rocket:

5 Likes

It's more of a "pay up or upload your own cert every 3 months" kinda deal.

It's fine but I would not call that "support"

3 Likes