Certbot upgrade for ACME v1 to ACME v2 migration not working

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: silverturn.com

I ran this command: sudo dnf install certbot certbot-apache

It produced this output:
Last metadata expiration check: 0:20:30 ago on Fri 27 Mar 2020 11:16:29 AM PDT.
Package certbot-0.23.0-1.fc26.noarch is already installed, skipping.
Package python3-certbot-apache-0.23.0-1.fc26.noarch is already installed, skipping.
Dependencies resolved
Nothing to do.

My web server is (include version): Apache/2.4.29 (Fedora)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Linux version 4.14.4-200.fc26.x86_64

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: N/A

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): certbot 0.23.0

I recently got an email from Let’s Encrypt to upgrade our client to one that supports ACME v2. In trying to upgrade, it seems to think 0.23.0 is the latest (see above). And, it looks like 1.4 is the latest. Not sure what I’m doing wrong…

1 Like


Your Fedora OS might only have 0.23.0 as the latest version.
Although 1.4 is the latest version certbot team released, your OS might not have that version.

What is your Fedora version?
cat /etc/fedora-release

Thank you

1 Like

Fedora release 26 (Twenty Six)

A few days after my last response, the disk on my server crashed and backups were also corrupted (different reason). I now have things rebuilt and am again focusing on this problem.

During that rebuild, I couldn’t get certbot working at all - it gave an error that it was not letting people sign up using V1 anymore. Then (not sure I remember where anymore) I discovered a page that talked about certbot-auto. Certbot-auto did some updating (which is what it’s supposed to do) and subsequently everything works fine. FWWIW, certbot still shows its version as 0.23 (which shouldn’t work, but apparently it changed how it accesses ACME from V1 to V2 so everything works now). Just posting this as followup in case it helps someone else having a similar problem.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.