Certbot challenge for subdomains with wildcard

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: bardhome.de

I ran this command: certbot run -a manual -i nginx -d *.bardhome.de

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

Plugins selected: Authenticator manual, Installer nginx

Requesting a certificate for *.bardhome.de

Performing the following challenges:

dns-01 challenge for bardhome.de

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Please deploy a DNS TXT record under the name
_acme-challenge.bardhome.de with the following value:
ODSRq86u-jtw1UoqMsfEpNOnMNjFM4DfuOJD_HGeUmM
Before continuing, verify the record is deployed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Press Enter to Continue
Waiting for verification...
Challenge failed for domain bardhome.de
dns-01 challenge for bardhome.de
Cleaning up challenges
Some challenges have failed.

My web server is (include version): nginx container for docker

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 20

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: none

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

######################################

I entered the following text to my dns record at domainssaubillig.de:

_acme-challenge.example.com. 300 IN TXT "ODSRq86u-jtw1UoqMsfEpNOnMNjFM4DfuOJD_HGeUmM"

When I do the challenge for the subdomains manually (so no wildcard, but single domains p.ex. test.bardhome.de, subdomain.bardhome.de), its works. But I like to use the wildcard.

Did you really add the TXT record for example.com ? Because your JPG of the result also showed example as the name.

And, how did you verify the TXT record sync'd in all your authoritative name servers before proceeding?

5 Likes

Many thanks.

And, how did you verify the TXT record sync'd in all your authoritative name servers before proceeding?

How can I verify this?

1 Like

Various ways. Many times the auth servers sync fairly fast so waiting a minute may be enough. But, I see you have some issues with your DNS setup that need fixing.

You can use dig to lookup TXT records. Or, use this site which uses a method similar to how Let's Encrypt does it. Notice the SERVFAIL error. It is OK to not have a TXT record (right now) but a lookup should get a not found - not a SERVFAIL.

Check the errors reported by this site for likely causes
https://dnsviz.net/d/bardhome.de/dnssec/

EDIT: Added link for "use this site"

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.