Can't get certs - 404 not found, status 403 returned


#1

EDIT: Not LE fault. Seems like something in the ee script not doing it in the right sequence

Thanks for your time!


  1. Using Easyengine - sites work well, had no problems with letsencrypt when I started with this VPS (4 months ago)
  2. logs show that a 404 error is received when trying to access the challenge file. However, I can access files under .well-known/acme-challenge/
    I’m trying to use the same url in the logs
    "http://subdomain.domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/64sBEUQhHOx2qLP0bdAEV_g1y_mnZJLBJBACQM-bAJo"

Not sure if it’s still usable, but it returns the same 404 error.
When trying to get certs again, I get the same error (again, this is via EasyEngine)

Any clue?
The same VPS and domain worked well with LE just few days ago


My domain is: subdomain.domain.com (prefer not to say at this point)

I ran this command:
http://subdomain.domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/64sBEUQhHOx2qLP0bdAEV_g1y_mnZJLBJBACQM-bAJo

It produced this output:
{
“type”: “http-01”,
“status”: “invalid”,
“error”: {
“type”: “urn:acme:error:unauthorized”,
“detail”: “Invalid response from http://subdomain.domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/64sBEUQhHOx2qLP0bdAEV_g1y_mnZJLBJBACQM-bAJo: “\u003chtml\u003e\r\n\u003chead\u003e\u003ctitle\u003e404 Not Found\u003c/title\u003e\u003c/head\u003e\r\n\u003cbody bgcolor=“white”\u003e\r\n\u003ccenter\u003e\u003ch1\u003e404 Not Found\u003c/h1\u003e\u003c/center\u003e\r\n\u003chr\u003e\u003ccenter\u003e””,
“status”: 403
},
“uri”: “https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/challenge/qFN8Klpw_K93GvnmUZgwEsnhhy2HMH0_7L_gnRRtgGY/1175273949”,
“token”: “64sBEUQhHOx2qLP0bdAEV_g1y_mnZJLBJBACQM-bAJo”,
“keyAuthorization”: “64sBEUQhHOx2qLP0bdAEV_g1y_mnZJLBJBACQM-bAJo.qye9QS4qqM_Qte3N6rUFB_7ZOnmvwF5_l_v2iPcqcaM”,
“validationRecord”: [
{
“url”: “http://subdomain.domain.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/64sBEUQhHOx2qLP0bdAEV_g1y_mnZJLBJBACQM-bAJo”,
“hostname”: “subdomain.domain.com”,
“port”: “80”,
“addressesResolved”: [
“45.33.43.252”,
“2600:3c01::f03c:91ff:fee7:fbf4”
],
“addressUsed”: “2600:3c01::f03c:91ff:fee7:fbf4”,
“addressesTried”: []
}
]
}


My operating system is (include version): Debian Jessie

My web server is (include version): Nginx

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Linode

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no


#2

I’ll close this because you said the problem was not related to Let’s Encrypt. I hope your configuration goes smoothly from here on.


#3