Beta application approval time?

That could be down to many factors.

For myself it’s been down to a lack time, although I’ve been reading a lot in the forums, not needed to write anything recently.

That said I’ve managed to find some time yesterday to get the client working (non-beta, still waiting) on some environments.

Peter

indeed but remember there's other chanels of communication besides the forums for letsencrypt

it look like a little more than "beta" test.
Maybe some people sign-up with test/empty want contribuite but not touch production/running site.

We, for example. I've submitted a bunch of test domains, as we're developing an own frontend for ACME and would like to test that as early as possible.
Currently we're using an own Boulder instance for development, but I'd appreciate the chance to test the production system. Implementing the protocol is one thing - the "real" environment (limits, response time etc.) is the other.

A not-real site in this context would be, for example, the >300 people who submitted example.com, or a TLD which does not exist.

Test domains and the like are fine. You can see many of them in the Certificate Transparency list. But to quote one of the submissions, lololololollo.ololol is not a real domain, and neither is www.*

6 Likes

Is there a notification when your requested domain has been whitelisted?

From what I gather, you receive an e-mail, telling, you have been invited and some basic steps to get going. With 3 weeks to go in beta, I think the chance is getting slimmer to get selected though.

I applied for the beta program just after it started by completing the google doc form. I believe I was on the first 100 applications because the small tag with the hit number was on the 40’s and now it is on 2.4k :open_mouth:. A few days ago, jcjones said that they whitelisted almost 3k domains and that was going to be doubled in 1 day to 6k. Is the whitelist a first in, first served basis or there is any specific order like number of messages posted in the forum, most interesting project, or ‘friend of the king’ to get to the whitelist?

From tlussnig comment, after a quick review of the certificates issued, removing duplicates/re-issues and the Hoffman-andrews tests, I got this:

Date Certificates Issued
10/20 5
10/21 6
10/22 31
10/23 31
10/24 27
10/25 10
10/26 89
10/27 315
10/28 200
10/29 123

Total: 837

2 Likes

well my domains are not yet approved

My domain is also not under the 3% of lucky persons. But since i use StartSSL and LE does not yet support ECDSA Keys
even for client there is no problem for me.

If I run beta, I’d first invite [forum] active users first.
Assuming, likeliness of get comments from them, than from somebody not even bothered to register…

You can compare domains registration contacts with forum logins’ emails to match them, I guess.
Or, better, use alternative to specify either email or forum login/pwd.
Again, that’s assuming, you want some sort of [useful] feedback, actually… :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the Idea, especially since the people are put closer to the LE community

My opinion is (after being sent and invite for the beta and installing a certificate) that, sure, the beta program is a privilege and we all want it, but there’s really nothing to fight over. Beta testers don’t get any special perks or features or whatnot. Everyone will get a chance to get a LE certificate in a couple of weeks (at GA) anyways.

but the privilege should be earned like that ppl who are more active get higher priority

1 Like

for some (like me), they want early access so they can work on Letsencrypt integrations with their web apps, software or tools :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“My1, post:35, topic:1526, full:true”][quote=“alfredxing, post:34, topic:1526”]My opinion is (after being sent and invite for the beta and installing a certificate) that, sure, the beta program is a privilege[/quote]but the privilege should be earned like that ppl who are more active get higher priority
[/quote]I was thinking not about perks or privileges for us (i.e. customers in this case), but rather to letsencrypt (as provider) to test something on their end.
Tho, don’t know what could be different (in regard to their web apps, software, tools, etc.) in signing our CSRs with their public CA (trusted) vs. “homebrew” (un-trusted) one…
So I have to agree, it’s a privilege in this case. 

[quote=“eva2000, post:36, topic:1526”]for some (like me), they want early access so they can work on Letsencrypt integrations with their web apps, software or tools[/quote]Again, should be no different from what they have now, except you put it into production right away (which is privilege, comparing to other customers)
Am I wrong?

Well technically it's both a privilege AND responsibility as beta testing is also about providing feedback, bug reports etc to improve the LE processes.. it's not just about obtaining the SSL certificate for production use. That differs from regular users who would have less of an expectation for such feedback and bug reporting.

so yes it does make sense to get active forum, irc and mailing list users on the beta invited list sooner rather than later - to gather more feedback and bug reports :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“eva2000, post:38, topic:1526”]
Well technically it’s both a privilege AND responsibility as beta testing is also about providing feedback, bug reports etc to improve the LE processes…
[/quote]Agreed!
I was wondering, if somebody from LE read this thread, actually… :smile:

then again most active users might have already submitted for beta invite application anyway :smiley: