ACME v2 300 new order rate limit

Hi I received an error during the creation new order, as I understand there is one of the rate limits. Can you tel me please, when I will be able to create a new order again?
My domain is: smartexmon.com

I ran this command: “POST /acme/new-order HTTP/1.1”

It produced this output:
`HTTP 429
Server: nginx
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2019 19:33:18 GMT
Content-Type: application/problem+json
Content-Length: 239
Connection: keep-alive
Boulder-Requester: 71714765
Cache-Control: public, max-age=0, no-cache
Link: https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory;rel=“index”
Replay-Nonce: 01024bQEGAWbNdkg2vICuaj68mfTzBz7ULoUcgrGillp3sk

{
“type”: “urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited”,
“detail”: “Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: smartexmon.com: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/”,
“status”: 429
}
`

Thanks in advance

Have you read the actual error message?

Did you read that page?

Why don't you use any of the 5 certificates you've got issued today: crt.sh | %smartexmon.com ?

Yes, I read this message and page, I have called new order creating many times during last few hours. Can I when I will be able to use this REST cal again? Time or date.

Many thanks for so quick response.
Best Regards.

Hi @paul-darth,

Your messages make it sound like you think you’re hitting the “300 New Orders per account per 3 hours.” rate limit, but the error message you shared indicates you’re actually hitting the duplicate certificate limit of 5 per week.

That means you’ll be able to issue another duplicate certificate 7 days after the first one you issued. Checking certificate transparency I can see that the first certificate for smartexmon.com for this window was issued on 2019-11-12, so you should be able to issue another duplicate on 2019-11-19.

As mentioned, this is particular to duplicates. Like @Osiris noted you don’t need to keep issuing multiple certificates for the same domain names over and over. You can do that once, keep the resulting certificate, and use it for up to 90 days. Generally issuing many copies of identical certificates within a 7 day period indicates a bug or problem with your system design.

Hope that helps!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.