Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore

What is this?

Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore.
Certbot will no longer receive updates.

Why doesn't it tell me what it needs? No I don't use a distro.

Edit: No I also don't use a package manager!

2 Likes

Are we down to "plug&play no I don't understand how it works or what it does and I don't care"? Then I'll better follow the advice given in the error messages and check for other alternatives.

1 Like

It doesn't really need anything if I read the warning correctly. It's just informing you it won't be self-updating any longer, so you're stuck with the current version of certbot. It's up to you if you're comfortable with that.

1 Like

Can you use snap install?

3 Likes

Easy: I'm not comfortable with that and I want certbot to tell me what is missing

1 Like

snap is a package manager. As I said, I don't have a package manager. I'm a fan of good old handwork.

1 Like

Well, I'm not certbot, but it seems it would like to have a supported system :grin: And apparently, yours isn't supported any longer. I assume it won't get supported in the future too, so I don't think there's anything you can "give" the certbot-auto script to make it work.

Now, about that certbot-auto wrapper script around certbot in the first place: it is a hack, it's "dirty" and you shouldn't be using it if you have alternatives.

You're using a package manager by using certbot-auto? If you like the Spartan approach so much, I'm thinking you'll have to make the code run from the certbot source code yourself in stead of relying on certbot-auto and the implicitly used package manager: GitHub - certbot/certbot: Certbot is EFF's tool to obtain certs from Let's Encrypt and (optionally) auto-enable HTTPS on your server. It can also act as a client for any other CA that uses the ACME protocol.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I think that certbot-auto just became deprecated the other day.

certbot-auto was deprecated on all systems except for those based on Debian or RHEL.

4 Likes

So I just reinstall whatever the Let's Encrypt software is called now and then I'm fine? Or will it again complain because it can't determine my distro - which does not have a name because it's my own.

2 Likes

I think acme.sh is entirely script.

There's also the true gold standard if you don't mind the effort...

4 Likes

Interesting. How did you manage to use certbot-auto in the first place? It has distributions hard-coded in the script and anything beyond those hardcoded distro's would have resulted in an "Unsupported distro" error.

Unfortunately, I think "no". If certbot-auto was the only way for you to get certbot up and running, there won't be an "official" way to run certbot (besides package managers and snapd et cetera).

Well, perhaps you can modify the certbot-auto script so it thinks it's still supported? Just fetch a version before the deprecation to see what has changed. Github makes the difference quite easily visible. Then, hack the script to your liking until it works. And if you run it, pass the --no-self-upgrade to the command line so it won't "upgrade" (more degrade :stuck_out_tongue:) itself.

2 Likes
touch /etc/arch-release
./letsencrypt-auto --debug
rm /etc/arch-release
1 Like

These are not the upgrades you're looking for... :laughing:

2 Likes

yeah. time to look for a lean ACME client I can trust instead of continuing to use that bloated stuff.

1 Like

There you can see the changes made to the script, including the ArchLinux part which is triggered by the existance of /etc/arch-release.

It would be very easy to revert to the working version: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/certbot/certbot/7f0fa18c570942238a7de73ed99945c3710408b4/letsencrypt-auto-source/letsencrypt-auto

(it still has the very ancient name letsencrypt-auto, but it's the same script as certbot-auto)

2 Likes

I've often wondered why certbot seems to have such heavy requirements compared to a similar functionality in acme.sh...

2 Likes

Well, some might call certbot bloated, other might call it "feature rich". In any case it depends highly on a lot of Python dependencies. I'm not an expert enough to judge that though. What I can say is that certbot has more features than acme.sh :wink:

2 Likes

What I can say is that I have Python 3.6, which should be enough as it has pip and venv built in.

1 Like

Ooeeh, a package manager :grimacing: :wink:

But I'd recommend using the older script I linked above and overwrite your current certbot-auto with it and keep using it with --no-self-upgrade to prevent this issue again.

You might also choose to edit the script so you won't have to add and remove /etc/arch-release. Just edit the elif [ -f /etc/arch-release ] to always return true.

2 Likes

People use ancient certbot releases a lot around here. I've seen 0.31.0 more often than not.

3 Likes