Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore and Attempting to parse the version 1.9.0 renewal configuration file found at with version 0.31.0 of Certbot. This might not work

My domain is: eco-toimistotarvikkeet.fi

I ran this command: sudo certbot renew --dry-run

It produced this output:

Attempting to parse the version 1.9.0 renewal configuration file found at /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/hiekkalaatikko.eco-toimistotarvikkeet.fi.conf with version 0.31.0 of Certbot. This might not work.

Attempting to parse the version 1.9.0 renewal configuration file found at /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/static.eco-toimistotarvikkeet.fi.conf with version 0.31.0 of Certbot. This might not work.

Attempting to parse the version 1.9.0 renewal configuration file found at /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/template.eco-toimistotarvikkeet.fi.conf with version 0.31.0 of Certbot. This might not work.

My web server is (include version): Server version: Apache/2.4.29 (Ubuntu)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): YES

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): NO

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

certbot --version

certbot 0.31.0

certbot-auto --version

Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore.
Certbot will no longer receive updates.
Please visit https://certbot.eff.org/ to check for other alternatives.
certbot 1.9.0

I have use all the time certbot-auto so the version is 1.9.0.

So there is two questions.

1. Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore. Do it supported certbot?
    what does this mean? Does certbot supported Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS anymore ??
    Or is it only certbot-auto that is going to end of it's line.
  2. Why certbot dry run complain these hiekkalaatikko, static, template ?

Thank for your answers.

1 Like

I found out that certbot-auto was deprecated on all systems except for those based on Debian or RHEL.

So I must begin to use certbot without auto. So the other question is why certbot complains those hiekkalaatikko, static, template ? and certbot-auto do not complain. What should I do ? Can I add certbot to cronjob like certbot-auto ?

1 Like

You should NOT be using two certbots in the same system.
For one, each will try to setup a scheduled renewal job via cron or systemd timers.
So you might want to review what is already in there now before making changes.
And then I would remove the deprecated one and update the remaining one.
[which should already have placed a renewal job for you]

1 Like

I had same issue - I was using certbot-auto on Debian 10 "Buster" and crontab was mailing me this for the last week:

Your system is not supported by certbot-auto anymore.
Certbot will no longer receive updates.
Please visit https://certbot.eff.org/ to check for other alternatives.

What I did was to select my webserver/OS setup from https://certbot.eff.org/instructions

I installed snap and certbot by that method - it was a "snap" to get going :slight_smile: I choose to do a dry-run at the end since I already have valid certs.

OP has root ssh access and all he/she needs to get going, just visit https://certbot.eff.org/instructions

PS: I had a little clean-up to do after: 1. comment out line from root crontab that scheduled certbot-auto and 2. remove crontab-auto from the system

1 Like

Thank you for the instrcutions. I try these instructions in few weeks. I just begin to wonder can I use certbot like I used certbot-auto in crontab so like this.

27 18 * * * /root/certbot-auto renew --quiet

So I write crontab
27 18 * * * /root/certbot renew --quiet

You don't need to put anything in crontab at all, the snap installation schedules things for you.

After install, run this command to see it scheduled: systemctl list-timers

Systemd timers are an alternative to cron.

1 Like

I mean to get new certificates automatically. In that I use crontab certbot-auto. So I do not need manually check whether my certificates are soon will end. So I run certbot renew every day automatically to get new certificates.

You don't need to use cron anymore at all for certificate renewals.
There should be an equivalent "job" running under systemd.
Try the command given above to confirm:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.