Why don't you give the PPA for Ubuntu?

I’d like to start using Lets Encrypt on an apache server under Ubuntu 18.04. Thus I’m reading https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/ubuntubionic-apache

Certbot uses a PPA on Ubuntu 18.04. Great, I already knew what a PPA is. But why didn’t whoever wrote the documentation think it might be useful FOR THOSE WHO DO NOT KNOW WHAT THE Certbot PPA URL IS to put that information right next to the information that certbot uses a PPA?

How exactly am I supposed install Certbot when the documentation DOESN’T GIVE THE PPA URL!?!

/frustration

Hi @pmh,

I don't know why you need the url, in the doc you have the commands to add the ppa and install it, this line is the one that adds the ppa:

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:certbot/certbot

You don't need it but If you want the url... Certbot PPA : “certbot” team

Cheers,
sahsanu

1 Like

I can see how those instructions might be unclear.

It says “Once you add it to your list of repositories all you’ll need to do is apt-get the following packages.” Then it gives a list of commands. So someone unfamiliar with apt-get might conclude that they needed to somehow find and add the PPA before going through the list of commands.

In fact (as @sahsanu pointed out) one of the commands listed is actually the one to add the PPA to your list of repositories.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.