What make Rasberry Pi unique for LE?

Continuing the discussion from Help with instaling LE on Rasp-Pi Pi-Hole breaks lighttpd:

What make Rasberry Pi unique for LE?
Isn't it just really low power, ARM based, small RAM, microSD based Linux box?

2 Likes

There are several Linux distributions and software packages distributed as images intending to be run on a raspberry Pi, like Pihole in that thread. Any issues would be likely related to how those software packages configure certificates etc. That wouldn’t really be specific to the Pi; it’s just how people run into issues. You could run PiHole on many other pieces of hardware or in a VM and have the same problems.

11 Likes

For me (the linked thread is mine) the resolution was to just update my OS.

I set my PiHole up about 3 or more years ago. I vaguely remember reading something that said not to update the OS as it could break how PiHole works as a DNS which was why I’d never updated the OS.

However after performing the upgrade to the OS I was able to follow the instructions and get it all working.

9 Likes

Thank you @mcpherrinm!
My bad, I had only heard Pi-hole being used in a slightly derogatory way about Raspberry PI linux and I didn't know that it is a linux distro for Raspberry PI. Thank you increasing my general knowledge. :smile:

3 Likes

You can even run Ubuntu 20 on Pi.

9 Likes

I know I run Ubuntu 22.04 LTS Server on a Raspberry PI, as well as OpenBSD 7.1

7 Likes

So I guess your link could be marked with a Solution :heavy_check_mark:

2 Likes

Sorry I thought I had marked a solution on it. I have now.

6 Likes

Going beyond what @mcpherrinm said, keep in mind that PFSense was /designed/ to run on these types of machines. While the more recent boxes by Netgate and Soekris (what originally ran PFsense / m0n0wall / OpenWrt) are more powerful than a modern Raspberry Pi, the modern Raspberry Pi is WAY more powerful than the hardware designed to run those platforms from 5-10 years ago.

8 Likes

Yeah, I've seen a lot of things run on Raspberry PI such as https://wiki.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Hardware#Raspberry_Pi_Model_3B.2C_3B.2B.2C_4B

However it doesn't run on a Raspberry PI 400 presently.

2 Likes

Are you quite sure about this? Until recently when Netgate released their own ARM-based boxes, I'd always understood pfSense to be x86-only. m0n0wall ran on a variety of architectures (though given that it was abandoned seven years ago, I'd be kind of surprised if ARM was one of them), but I don't recall ever knowing that pfSense did until much more recently.

8 Likes

By "these types of machines", I meant small embedded systems.

I don't think they were ARM. Between 2001 and 2008 I worked at several companies that ran little m0n0wall (which then became pfSense) on Soekris, Netgate and PCEngines appliances as office and data-center firewalls. The devices were all tiny, expensive, and not nearly as powerful as modern Raspberry PI's based on CPU, Memory, and IO. I think the models typically had 256mb of memory, a low end AMD chip, and the OS was installed on a small compact flash drive (basically a USB2 thumb drive).

8 Likes

I know there were several MIPS based routers.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.