Hangs at "Installing Python packages" on Raspberry Pi

I’ve run the following commands on my Raspberry Pi Model B+ (Raspbian), but the installation seems to freeze at “Installing Python packages”:

sudo git clone https://github.com/letsencrypt/letsencrypt /opt/letsencrypt
 cd /opt/letsencrypt
 ./letsencrypt-auto certonly --standalone --verbose

This is the last part of the output immediately after the package list has been updated:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
ca-certificates is already the newest version.
dialog is already the newest version.
gcc is already the newest version.
libffi-dev is already the newest version.
libssl-dev is already the newest version.
python is already the newest version.
python-dev is already the newest version.
python-virtualenv is already the newest version.
augeas-lenses is already the newest version.
libaugeas0 is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 20 not upgraded.
Checking for new version...
Creating virtual environment...
Running virtualenv with interpreter /usr/bin/python2.7
The --no-site-packages flag is deprecated; it is now the default behavior.
New python executable in /home/chris/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/python2.7
Also creating executable in /home/chris/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/python
Installing distribute........done.
Installing pip...............done.
Installing Python packages...

I’ve installed the LE client on an Ubuntu server on DigitalOcean and it works beautifully, but I’ve not had any luck on the Pi.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

How long did you wait for installing Python packages ?
I successfully ran letsencrypt-auto on a bananapi (same arch as the rpi, id ARM, with a debian jessie installer on it). As some python modules have to be compiled, it can take some times, specially on low power device as the rpi.

on the rpi1 it takes really long to run LE, which is annoying.

Ah, I must admit it was probably only around 10-12 minutes. Thank you for the replies - I will try running it again in a Screen session and see if it finishes OK.

Best regards,

Chris

well 10-12 minutes is a bit long depending on your pi.

Just installed it on my brand new Rasberry Pi 3 and installing the Python packages takes quite a long time. But it succeed after 8 minutes or so. Try monitoring the processes on your Pi during installation using top or htop. I did and saw the python process takes quite a while to finish. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. Turns out I just needed to wait a bit longer for the Python packages part - 10-12 mins is about right.

However, the installation now stops shortly after the Python packages part. Here’s the console output:

Installing Python packages...
Installation succeeded.
Requesting root privileges to run letsencrypt...
   /root/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/letsencrypt certonly --standalone --verbose
Illegal instruction
root@pi1:/opt/letsencrypt#

Originally I was running the command ./letsencrypt-auto certonly --standalone --verbose as sudo and when I got the console output above I assumed it was because the sudo privilege thing had timed out. So I did sudo -i and ran the command again as root, but I still get this Illegal instruction error.

Any ideas?

I think the reason for the failure is because the Pi 1 Model B+ I’ve been attempting to run letsencrypt-auto on is running Debian 7.0 “Wheezy”. I’ve successfully run the installation on a Pi 2 Model B which is running Debian 8.0 “Jessie”. Didn’t realise I was the B+ was still using Wheezy so it looks like it’s time for an upgrade.

Chris

If you’re running Jessie, you can install the client from jessie-backports, without having to do any of the compilation that is implicit in running letsencrypt-auto for the first time…

Is there really no way to persist the virtual environment with the setup python packages?