Virtualmin Web-based validation failed : Failed to request certificate :

Hello,
I would like to renew the certificates of two domains but, I keep receiving the same message for both.
can you please provide some assistanze?

My domain is:
www.terradelduca.it

I ran this command:
none, In this cases I manage this via Virtualmin/webmin.

It produced this output:
for both the above mentioned domains -
An error occurred requesting a new certificate for terradelduca.it, www.terradelduca.it from Let’s Encrypt : Web-based validation failed : Failed to request certificate :

Traceback (most recent call last): File “/usr/libexec/webmin/webmin/acme_tiny.py”, line 198, in  main(sys.argv[1:]) File “/usr/libexec/webmin/webmin/acme_tiny.py”, line 194, in main signed_crt = get_crt(args.account_key, args.csr, args.acme_dir, log=LOGGER, CA=args.ca, disable_check=args.disable_check, directory_url=args.directory_url, contact=args.contact) File “/usr/libexec/webmin/webmin/acme_tiny.py”, line 143, in get_crt raise ValueError(“Wrote file to {0}, but couldn’t download {1}: {2}”.format(wellknown_path, wellknown_url, e)) ValueError: Wrote file to /home/terradelduca/public_html/ .well-known/acme-challenge/J-hJOYBRrvXTORbPe5yFiC4pqE3gj-qWHfXktMMsAwc, but couldn’t download http://terradelduca.it/.well-known/acme-challenge/J-hJOYBRrvXTORbPe5yFiC4pqE3gj-qWHfXktMMsAwc: Error: Url: http://terradelduca.it/.well-known/acme-challenge/J-hJOYBRrvXTORbPe5yFiC4pqE3gj-qWHfXktMMsAwc Data: None Response Code: None Response: <urlopen error [Errno 111] Connection refused>

My web server is (include version):
Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
CentOS Linux release 7.8.2003 (Core)

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
terradelduca.it -> ns01.bzone.it
emmediciotto.it -> dns.consultingweb.it

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
|Webmin version|1.942
|Usermin version|1.791
|Virtualmin version|6.09

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):
N/A

thanks

Hi @rfinotti

your output:

Looks like that acme_tiny has a pre-check. And can't check your url.

http://terradelduca.it/.well-known/acme-challenge/J-hJOYBRrvXTORbPe5yFiC4pqE3gj-qWHfXktMMsAwc

But that url works.

May be a bug in acme_tiny, may be a bug in your configuration. Check, if there are updates or if it is possible to skip that pre-check.

1 Like

Hello Juergen, vielen dank for the reply.
I have other domains in this same Server.
in any case, I don’t see any pending updates for the server or the virtualmin.
I usually do the operations via certbot on the other servers, but since this is an old server and the old sysadmin didn’t passed the info about its configuration, I would like to know if by installing certbot in the server would resolve this issue.

Hello @JuergenAuer,

I decided that acme_tiny.py should not be used in this server so by installing the old certbot I’ve resolved the issue.
Vielen dank for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.