Verify TXT records

I am using sslforfree to register a new wildcard certificate for al my domains at elernic.co.ke. I’ve added the two txt records as requested but when I click verify TXT records I get this message.

“No TXT Record Found. Make to set the TTL to 1 second or if you cannot set the TTL then you must wait the TTL (in seconds) so it updates before verifying the domain. Contact your DNS provider if unsure.”

I have done an Nslookup and I can see the txt records thus I assume propagation is okay. Why won’t my browser not see them and verify?

Hi @mykeadam,

Your domains is using 4 authoritative name servers:

$ dig elernic.co.ke ns ns +noall +answer
;; Warning, extra type option

; <<>> DiG 9.11.1 <<>> elernic.co.ke ns ns +noall +answer
;; global options: +cmd
elernic.co.ke.          86289   IN      NS      ns19.truehost.cloud.
elernic.co.ke.          86289   IN      NS      f.ns.buddyns.com.
elernic.co.ke.          86289   IN      NS      k.ns.buddyns.com.
elernic.co.ke.          86289   IN      NS      ns20.truehost.cloud.

Which are a bit different from the parent zone which is advertising this 4 (the ones by truehost are different and these ns servers are the ones configured in your registrar):

elernic.co.ke.          86400   IN      NS      f.ns.buddyns.com.
elernic.co.ke.          86400   IN      NS      k.ns.buddyns.com.
elernic.co.ke.          86400   IN      NS      ns15.truehost.cloud.
elernic.co.ke.          86400   IN      NS      ns16.truehost.cloud.

And, the buddyns servers aren’t answering requests for your domain:

$ dig _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @ns20.truehost.cloud txt +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.9.7 <<>> _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @ns20.truehost.cloud txt +noall +answer
_acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke. 1 IN     TXT     "OpYbZngLmoXXoBsT9Uc9QlXKteCBpCVhdX2Vw5FBzuA"
_acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke. 1 IN     TXT     "hkDN5OI2YPFkxr2IyMNJPym9BTBFVRu7pAGMdYQIbho"

$ dig _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @ns19.truehost.cloud txt +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.9.7 <<>> _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @ns19.truehost.cloud txt +noall +answer
_acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke. 1 IN     TXT     "hkDN5OI2YPFkxr2IyMNJPym9BTBFVRu7pAGMdYQIbho"
_acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke. 1 IN     TXT     "OpYbZngLmoXXoBsT9Uc9QlXKteCBpCVhdX2Vw5FBzuA"

$ dig _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @f.ns.buddyns.com txt +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.9.7 <<>> _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @f.ns.buddyns.com txt +noall +answer
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached

$ dig _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @k.ns.buddyns.com txt +noall +answer

; <<>> DiG 9.9.7 <<>> _acme-challenge.elernic.co.ke @k.ns.buddyns.com txt +noall +answer
;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached 

You should take a look to your ns servers.

Good luck,
sahsanu

1 Like

Thanks. They are using them as a secondary DNS host. How can I propagate the TXT records to them. Any idea?

Hi @mykeadam,

No, I've no idea but if those ns servers are secondary "slaves" maybe you need to add them to truehost but as I said, I don't know the features of trruehost nor buddyns so that is something you will need to figure out :frowning:

Good luck,
sahsanu

1 Like

Thanks for the help…

BuddyNS has an API that you can use to request immediate synchronization of the secondary DNS servers: BuddyNS RESTful API, v2 - BuddyNS Secondary DNS

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.