Using cpanel and getting "Invalid Response" with mail

Hi.

I’m trying to use the plugin in cpanel and getting this error:

There was a problem processing your request
• Error issuing certificate
• Failed to issue certificate
• The Let’s Encrypt HTTP challenge failed: acme error ‘urn:acme:error:unauthorized’: Invalid response from http://mail.example.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/IkaYZdy_FDUf6lap0jLG_ZQUbT9-7dDqQXZyr2E1gzw: " <meta name=viewport content=“initial-scale=1, minimum-scale=1, width=dev”

(except of course I replaced my url with example)

I’m using Google apps to read my email. Should I just install Let’s Encrypt on the site and ignore mail? Will that make the site less secure if I have email opt-in forms and contact forms?

Thanks.

If you don't post the actual domain name there is zero troubleshooting that can be done.

As for your questions:

A1. Without knowing any details about your sites, I don't think anyone can answer that question.
A reasonable answer would be NO - never ignore the opportunity to secure a site (for FREE).
A2. Again, without knowing how your site "works", I don't think anyone can answer that question.
And again, a reasonable guess would be yes, that would probably be less secure than it should be.

Thanks rg305. I was hoping that it would be some common error.

domain name is introvertology.com

Hi @ibb,

I didn't understand this from what you said above

I’m using Google apps to read my email.

but now that you've given the domain name, I can see that mail.introvertology.com is pointed at Google Apps while introvertology.com and www.introvertology.com are pointed at a different hosting provider. That explains the problem that you're seeing: only Google can install certificates for web services that Google hosts. Your cPanel at your hosting provider cannot modify the behavior or configuration of a Google Apps instance in any way. So, you'll need Google's help somehow to get an HTTPS connection for mail.introvertology.com, rather than doing it yourself in cPanel.

(cPanel probably can't even obtain the certificate in this case, but I don't want to make a categorical statement that you can't obtain a certificate for a domain name without the hosting provider's help, because there are other tools and methods that Let's Encrypt provides that can obtain a certificate by editing the DNS records for the domain, regardless of anything else. But this most likely can't be done inside cPanel, and in any case deploying the certificate to Google Apps—getting Google Apps to use the certificate—would still require Google's permission and assistance.)

Ok. Thank you schoen. I appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.