cPanel Plugin Not Creating Right HTTP Challenge Response

Hi, I have followed a tutorial that looked pretty straight forward on activating SSL on my website www.jamesnovis.com

I have logged into CPanel, gone to security, clicked on Let’s Encrypt SSL.
I have selected my site,and all the others …mail etc that it suggests.
Clicked on ‘issue certificate’ and was handed back this:

Error issuing certificate
Failed to issue certificate
The Let’s Encrypt HTTP challenge failed: acme error ‘urn:acme:error:unauthorized’: Invalid response from http://mail.jamesnovis.com/.well-known/acme-challenge/cUJAAHC063tzRrnGqx3vsLLMsIMnle1aeRahiEs9DfI: "<!–[if IE 7 ]><html class=“ie7” data-adblockkey=“MFwwDQYJKoZIhvcNAQEBBQADSwAwSAJBANDrp2lz7AOmADaN8tA50LsWcjLFyQF”

Can anybody help please before my site is cast into oblivion by new search engine rules.

Thanking you in advance.

James

Hi James

As you are using cPanel you are best to get this answered on their forums

The challenge I see is you are returning HTML contents rather than what Let’s Encrypt expects (one string)

Why this is happening is probably best answered by those with knowledge of cPanel.

Andrei

What you are returning:

As you didn’t fill out the question section properly I can’t really assist further but this could be something to do with rewrite rules on your webserver or the way your content management system deals with the path.

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

check your .htaccess for document root which is inside public_html .check if its forwarded to some other folder or not ?

Check your dns records. The name mail.jamesnovis.com points to another host as jamesnovis.com or www.jamesnovis.com. Or make sure you use www.jamesnovis.com as challenge domain.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.