Update email Address for Lets Encrpt SSL certificates

I have recently renewed SSL certs for my webserver. I would like to update email address for these SSLs so that it will alert me next time by sending email before expiry. I saw Lets encrypt documentation and it says it will renew it again with new email ID.

My query is

1. How to check current email address assigned for those SSL
  2. Does updating email address for these SSL will impact current SSL.

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 1.5.0

Hi @dushyantk.sun

checking

https://certbot.eff.org/docs/using.html

I don't see a direct "show me the mail" command. But there is always a simple solution. Use update_account and update to another mail address, then again to to your preferred address. Or try step 2 directly.

No. Certificates are created and read-only.

2 Likes

Hi @JuergenAuer,
Thank you for reply. I will try to update account. However I am little skeptical on updating it on environment. I will also try to see what is current email address.

1 Like

Per _az, when you update the email address for your ACME account, the email address associated with all of your issued certificates is retroactively modified. Thus, updating your email address will result in receiving expiration notifications at the new email address for existing certificates.

2 Likes

@griffin,
If it is so then it will break my website uptime as it is in production.
However thank you for input.

That shouldn't break your website at all. It's just a matter of being notified about expirations and revocations. There is no email address in a Let's Encrypt certificate itself (even if you supplied one on your certificate signing request). The change is purely on the servers of Let's Encrypt. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.