Unregister account

Hi,

I would like to unregister my account.
I already revoked my domain.

I want this because i lost the old server with no backup except the PEM (cert and key) and i would like redo the full process…

Thanks.

Is there a specific reason why you need to delete your account?

Let’s Encrypt will let you create a new account and new certificates. Accounts don’t have to be unique (that goes both for contact details such as your email and the domains). The process is no different from your first attempt, so you should be able to redo the full process right now.

(More technical answer: The current version of the protocol that Let’s Encrypt implements (ACME) does not support deleting accounts (or registrations, as they’re called in the spec). I think there’s a plan to add this in the next version, but I’m not sure.)

Technically one might want to remove an account if there was an email linked to it for example and that email was lost. By the way, are there any plans to allow changing email (or any contact details to that matter) or abandoning an account and registering a new one is the only way?

That would be fine. I believe the idea to do account recovery through email was dropped, so that wouldn't lead to any risks.

Updating registrations is possible right now. Certbot supports this through certbot register --update-registration. On the API level, I believe it's a simple POST to /acme/reg/id with the new contact details.

Ah, brilliant, good to know. :+1:

Updating registrations is possible right now. Certbot supports this through certbot register --update-registration. On the API level, I believe it's a simple POST to /acme/reg/id with the new contact details.

One quick caveat: updating contact email works, but outright removing your email from a registration is currently broken in Boulder. A fix should be delivered in the next few weeks. You can track the issue here: Allow users to remove their registered e-mail address · Issue #1846 · letsencrypt/boulder · GitHub

Thanks for replies :wink:

My old certificate was signed with beta version of letsencrypt. I don’t remember if i had to put my email somewhere…

It’s work but to explain my situation i have a nas (QNAP) and the new client isn’t functional with default shell.
Port 80 and 443 was default ports use by web interfaces. First change this to let something else like apache or nginx handle these ports. Done
i had to use a docker container to use new client (certbot) and share a folder to keep “/etc/letsencrypt/” in case of this container was destroyed…

BTW it’s working for now.

Thanks a lot.

PS : a native client for Qnap or Synolgy (i don’t know if exist…) will be better :slight_smile:

• And sorry for my poor english :slight_smile: I’m french…
1 Like

The latest version of Synology’s DSM (6.0 I think?) actually has integrated support for Let’s Encrypt! :tada:
I think they use HTTP-01 validation (i.e. port 80).

My qnap can’t be perfect :wink:
I’m really glad of mine.
Synology built good products for sure…