My domain is: dosbranding.com

I would like to create subdomains - heart4kids.dosbranding.com

I ran this command:
sudo apt-get install certbot python-certbot-apache
sudo apt-get install python3-certbot-dns-google

It produced this output:
E: Unable to locate package python3-certbot-dns-google

My web server is (include version): Debian 9.12

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): MacOS Catalina 10.15.4

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Google Cloud

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): Yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): FileZilla

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): 0.28.0

1 Like

If this is your goal, why are you specifically trying to install the DNS plugin?

Most of the time, people need the DNS plugins for wildcard support. Also, "creating" a subdomain without any relation to the TLS certificate, isn't related to certbot or Let's Encrypt.

1 Like

I thought, if I installed it would help me get SSL for the subdomain. Is that the case?

Not necessarily. The dns-01 challenge for which a DNS certbot plugin is very helpful, is only really necessary if you want or need a wildcard certificate or if port 80 or 443 isn't accessible.

If you've managed to get a certificate for your hostname succesful previously and just need one or a few subdomains (i.e.: don't need a wildcard certificate) then you don't need the dns-01 challenge and subsequently don't need a DNS plugin.

You can just add the subdomain to the certbot command you used previously for your hostname by adding another -d option with the subdomain after it.

1 Like

Sounds good. So how about if I want to keep adding more subdomains, which command should i run?

1 Like

I’m not sure I understand. Just add more -d <hostname> options to the previously used certbot command? Let’s Encrypt certificates can contain up to 100 hostnames in one certificate.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.