Unable to generate SSL certificate through certbot

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: abhinav.lol and www.abhinav.lol

I ran this command: sudo certbot --nginx

It produced this output: Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Please enter the domain name(s) you would like on your certificate (comma and/or
space separated) (Enter 'c' to cancel): abhinav.lol www.abhinav.lol
Requesting a certificate for abhinav.lol and www.abhinav.lol

Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: abhinav.lol
Type: dns
Detail: no valid A records found for abhinav.lol; no valid AAAA records found for abhinav.lol

Domain: www.abhinav.lol
Type: dns
Detail: no valid A records found for www.abhinav.lol; no valid AAAA records found for www.abhinav.lol

Hint: The Certificate Authority failed to verify the temporary nginx configuration changes made by Certbot. Ensure the listed domains point to this nginx server and that it is accessible from the internet.

Some challenges have failed.
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

My web server is (include version): NGINX

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 22.04 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): 1.27.0

Your hostnames resolve to 192.168.1.159 which is a private IP address, not a public IP address. Therefore Let's Encrypt can't connect to your site to validate the hostname with the http-01 challenge.

If using a private IP address is mandatory, your only option is to switch to the dns-01 challenge. Please see the Certbot documentation about Getting certificates (and choosing plugins). It has a section about the plugins and which challenges they can handle.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.