Unable to find webroot from ssh for my domain

Q. I have access to SSH from Google cloud console but I don't know how to find webroot for my domain

My domain is: test.excubator.org

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --webroot

It produced this output: Input the webroot for test.excubator.org: (Enter 'c' to cancel):

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Debian

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: google cloud

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): I don't know

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 1.21.0

The webroot is the directory used by your webserver where you can put files that'll be accessible through your website.

I.e., if a hypothetical webroot is /var/www/htdocs/ and you'd put a file called "test" in that directory, you'd be able to access that file through http://example.com/test.

3 Likes

Thanks. Got it. Is there any way to find webroot for me? Because the dev ops engineer who deployed the java application has left in between and I am not aware of dev ops stuff.

1 Like

Do you have a webserver running on port 80? If so, what webserver is that? And does that webserver even serve files from disk?

3 Likes

docker-proxy server is running on port 80

Where is docker-proxy proxying to?

2 Likes

Not able to find that. Any command that I should run?

I don't know anything about Docker, sorry. Maybe someone else on this Community can help you.

3 Likes

You could try using a browser to connect to http://test.excubator.org

Then, find the folder in your system where that page is kept. Search for key contents from the page that is shown if you have to. Try that folder in your -w option in certbot command like:

sudo certbot certonly --webroot -w (folder)

3 Likes

I searched exhaustively but could not find the folder where that page is kept. What folder it is kept in your system?

Maybe a different volunteer will walk you through your docker config but that's all I can offer for now. You need to understand your docker proxy server and the server it proxies to. You might try a docker forum. Sorry.

2 Likes

Try something drastic, like:
grep -R '35.200.195.159' / | grep -i property

[note: the search might take a while - it depends heavily on the volume of files, the speed of the CPU, and speed of the drive(s)]

1 Like

Ran this command and got the result as shown in screenshot. Don't know what to make of it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.