Too many registrations from this IP

Hi,
I'm currently developing an in-house app to automatically obtain certs (via GitHub - dehydrated-io/dehydrated: letsencrypt/acme client implemented as a shell-script – just add water) when we launch a VM

Note: As I am still in the development phase, I have been using the staging area

This has been going fine, until today, when I am now receiving the following error:

Details:
{
"type": "urn:acme:error:rateLimited",
"detail": "Error creating new registration :: Too many registrations from this IP",
"status": 429
}rm: cannot remove `/var/jenkins/workspace/Certificate_Signing/get-signed-certificate/letsencrypt.sh/config/domains.txt': No such file or directory

Error registering account key. See message above for more information.

The limits on Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt state that:

Registrations/IP address limits the number of registrations you can make in a given time period; currently 500 per 3 hours. This limit should only affect the largest users of Let’s Encrypt. Please utilize our staging environment if you’re developing an ACME client.

I really do not think I would be hitting anywhere near that limit (as each test is kicked off manually i.e. we have no automated "cron" type jobs running
And, I am using the staging area (as can be seen from the error)

Any help gratefully received
Jimmy

Are you sure there is no loop somewhere in your application causing it to generate the account key again and register? You could also pcap traffic from the machine to api endpoint and see if it’s really sending requests at the abnormal rate.

I really don’t think there’s a loop anywhere
However, I found a setting in the letsencrypt.sh stuff that, by default, appears to perform a new registration for each cert signing - I’ve now set it to false, and I’m able to get signed certs again

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.