Sudo: letsencrypt: command not found

Hello,

I’m working in the latest Debian environment with Apache2. I have installed Letsencrypt with
git clone https://github.com/letsencrypt/letsencrypt
which went fine as far as I can tell.
Now in my user directory I have a letsencrypt directory. Whether I run it from there or from the user directory, the command
sudo ./letsencrypt --redirect
gives me the error message
sudo: ./letsencrypt: command not found.
But as it looks, all files are there! What am I doing wrong?

The git command will create a clone in the letsencrypt subdirectory so its in a subdirectory:

cd letsencrypt
sudo ./letsencrypt .....

Hi!

There is, in the letsencrypt directory, a letsencrypt-auto script which will automatically update the client, setup the dependencies, and the virtualenv.
This is the recommended way to do this, in absence of a package for your distribution.

PS: There is a letsencrypt package for Debian experimental, but you would have to be ready to deal with bugs and report them in the Debian BTS.

Thanks for the feedback!
sudo ./letsencrypt-auto
run a buckload of commands, installed python etc., but still, when entering
sudo ./letsencrypt --redirect --rsa-key-size 4096
from the same directory still gives the ‘comand not found’ error message :confused:

1. letsencrypt-auto shouldn’t run as root, it will call sudo as needed.
  2. You should run ./letsencrypt-auto --redirect --rsa-key-size 4096, not try to call letsencrypt directly.
  3. Read the user documentation. It will let you avoid issues like using accidentaly the testing CA rather than the production one.

Houston, I have a problem.
I could get letsencrypt-auto to run fine, there are no error messages as far as I can see, but /etc/ doesn’t have a letsencrypt directory. There doesn’t appear to be any change in the Apache configuration, is it possible this is because it’s managed by Confixx? I created a VirtualHost file for my domain in the /etc/apache2/sites-available directory (with symlink in site-enabled) but no change.

My server runs Debian6-squeeze and Apache 2.

Ok, that’s indeed abnormal.
It might be due to the antiquated Debian version, but I have no idea what it would take to get the ACME client to run on Squeeze.