Subdomain cert for root domain that has SSL cert elsewhere

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: peak.akvo.org

I ran this command: Create a Let’s Encrypt cert

It produced this output: ‘There is already an active certificate selected for the selected domain name, that is not issued by Let’s Encrypt. If you would like to switch to Let’s Encrypt you have to first cancel it. Please contact our technical support if you need assistance with this.’

My operating system is (include version):

My web server is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: Siteground

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):I don’ tknwo

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): yes

The real issue here is that we have a wildcard ssl for *.akvo.org with Comodo. We do not want to change this as it’s used elsewhere on other servers. We do not want to share the private key for that wildcard cert with any others outside of our own servers. We thought we could just add a Let’s Encrypt for the subdomain separately but that doesn’t appear to be allowed?

thanks
Lynn

It’s certainly allowed by Let’s Encrypt. It might not be allowed by Siteground, I guess.

[edit] Although that wording… “There is already an active certificate selected for the selected domain name”… seems to suggest that they may be referring to some other certificate that’s already installed there. Maybe you could check with their technical support, as they suggest?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.