SSL For Free hitting rate limits

I’ve seen a bunch of threads about SSL For Free users hitting rate limits. I tested the site myself, and it seems to get caught in a reload loop, where each reload creates a new account, eventually hitting the rate limit.

I suspect this may be a bug in SSL For Free triggered by our rollout of ACME v2 - Scheduled removal of ID from account objects on Thursday. We’re going to revert that change temporarily. I’ve also emailed SSL For Free informing them of the problem and requesting a fix.

3 Likes

The temporary revert of the account ID removal change has happened (in prod), and SSL For Free seems to be working normally again. Hopefully they will respond soon with a fix.

2 Likes

To those who were affected by this event, you will be able to attempt issuance again in ~3 hours per https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

You can create a maximum of 10 Accounts per IP Address per 3 hours. You can create a maximum of 500 Accounts per IP Range within an IPv6 /48 per 3 hours. Hitting either account rate limit is very rare, and we recommend that large integrators prefer a design using one account for many customers.

1 Like

@sjdfnldas I see from old posts that you are the author of SSL For Free. Could you check the update from ACME v2 - Scheduled removal of ID from account objects and update the site so it works with those changes? We plan to turn them back on in about a week.

Compatibility with the change at ACME v2 - Scheduled removal of ID from account objects has now been completed

6 Likes

We’ve redeployed the “removal of ID from account objects” change. SSL For Free seems to be working well with the changes now. Thanks @sjdfnldas!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.