SSL for Docker Containers Showing error

Hi All,

1. I have Docker I am running “N” number of containers for development for those containers I am running under Nginx-proxy container for domain naming.

2. I am using this image for proxy “jwilder/nginx-proxy”

3. my problem is I installed SSL for one of my dev server(ex:test1.site.net) that is working fine but when I installed for another container(test2.site.net) it’s installed properly but when I am accessing through the browser it showing error like this

This server could not prove that it is test2.site.net; its security certificate is from test1.site.net. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

1. But each container has their own keys.

And each has its’ own IP?
How does the proxy access the sites?

1. For all containers only one public ip but each container have private ip so proxy redirect traffic ussing domain names.
  2. Without public ip we cant asign SSL?

You can use dns-01 - validation. But this is not the problem, because test1.site.net is working. Looks like a problem with the local configuration, so test2.site.net gets the wrong certificate.

@bhargav4108 why are your containers issuing their own certificates if you are using nginx-proxy? Shouldn’t nginx-proxy be issuing certificates for each of your containers?

Are you using https://github.com/JrCs/docker-letsencrypt-nginx-proxy-companion as suggested by the nginx-proxy README?

I hope this one is helpfull to me.

Thank you

docker containers are stateless - you should insert certs as part of the startup process or share a volume with certificates

having spent the last 9 months working with kubernettes and docker the one i have learnt is how many people don’t get this concept

so let me explain that a bit more

if you mount a volume of the underlying linux system (e.g. ubuntu) you should mount the etc/letsencrypt volume which will let you access certificates that the host has obtained

Otherwise you can insert the certificates you have obtained as environmental variables

i.e. -https://docs.docker.com/engine/reference/run/#env-environment-variables

the way you do it it’s up to you but you do need to keep that in mind. Containers are not virtual machines therefore persistence is not a an attribute that docker containers have

:smiley:

Let me know if you want a tutorial

Thanks for your information, yes i need tutorials. i am begginer for docker can you please share.
I am not using docker for production, i started for developement servers.

hi @bhargav4108

Someone else wrote a good tutorial :smiley:

Andrei

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.