SSL Certificate updating automatically

Hello let's encrypt

in the past, I had to renew the certificate manually every 3 months, but in the last 6 months Cloudflare made some updates to their website and I moved from a1astudios.tk to a1astudios.net. the SSL is renewing automatically now which is not a bad thing. I was wondering if let's encrypt has made updates to have all certificates renew automatically from now on, just wondering. thank you

My domain is: https://a1astudios.net

I ran this command: certbot renew

It produced this output: The following certificates are not due for renewal yet:

/etc/letsencrypt/live/a1astudios.net/fullchain.pem expires on 2022-12-23 (skipped)

No renewals were attempted.

My web server is (include version): Ubuntu 20.04 x64
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):Ubuntu 20.04 x64
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:Vult

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): using bash on MacBook pro command line

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):not sure

1 Like

nope. that's the way it's always been.

the real question is why you had to renew manually.

7 Likes

I'm not convinced the renewal was done manually.

So, my question becomes: Why did you think you needed to renew (manually)?

5 Likes

According to a tutorial from a developer that was the way it was done unless you modify the code to have it run on auto. Strait from the box packages installation required renewal every 3 months

According to a tutorial from a developer that was the way it was done unless you modify the code to have it run on auto. Strait from the box packages installation required renewal every 3 months, by the way, the SSL certificate is version 3

What tutorial, what software?

4 Likes

What does that mean?
[certificates are not bound to specific protocols]

4 Likes

The certificates that we use on the Internet are X.509v3

https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5280

and this does appear in a "Version" field inside the certificate. (Browsers don't might not show this field, but, for example, openssl x509 does.) However, this isn't very relevant information for any kind of debugging issue because all certificates have been X.509v3 for decades. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I read that as SSLv3 - LOL

4 Likes

Well, in most browsers on Windows that use the OS trust store, clicking through to get certificate details brings up the Windows dialog that describes the certificate, and that "Details" tab has "V3" in the version, as the very first property.

I can see how one might easily be tricked into thinking that it's relevant information. It wouldn't shock me if Mac showed something analogous.

6 Likes

Oops, yeah! Thanks for the correction. So browsers sure enough can show that field. :slight_smile:

I can see where that has the look of relevant information, too, since it's right up at the top. Even though you will never see anything other than 3 here for many reasons spread out across the whole web PKI ecosystems.

5 Likes

command line on mac, self-signed certificate, installation tutorial NGINX

from macbook pro on google chrome

The new version of Certbot is on auto-renew, this is the man that had an old video tutorial to update code for auto-renewals (timer) and now is confirmed with this new video how to auto-renew. NGINX
How to Get Fully Automated Let's Encrypt SSL Renewal (no coding) - YouTube

30 minutes of video tutorial? Really?

No way I'm going to watch that. Do you recognize the name "bitnami" from anywhere?

4 Likes

the SSL installation part is like passing half of the video, the first half is for server deployment, WordPress, and domain configuration.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.