Setting up certificate with ISP port 80 block?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: setzco.dyndns.org

I ran this command:
certbot --apache -d setzco.dyndns.org

It produced this output:
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Plugins selected: Authenticator apache, Installer apache
Requesting a certificate for setzco.dyndns.org
Performing the following challenges:
http-01 challenge for setzco.dyndns.org
Cleaning up challenges
Unable to find a virtual host listening on port 80 which is currently needed for Certbot to prove to the CA that you control your domain. Please add a virtual host for port 80.

My web server is (include version):
apache (Fedora 33)
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Fedora 33
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
dyndns.org
I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
yes??
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):certbot 1.14.0

Have apache running on port 8081 since ISP blocks port 80. This works fine, but have seen browsers that are not liking unencrypted connections, so have just started looking at ways to set it up? But since port 80 is blocked, is this a dead end for this process?? Is there a way to get it to work with port 8081 instead of port 80? Thanks

1 Like

If your ISP doesn't block port 443 (HTTPS), you could try use the the "TLS-ALPN" challenge type. You will need to port forward port 443 first.

Certbot doesn't support it, but other clients like acme.sh do.

acme.sh --issue --alpn --pre-hook "service apache2 stop" --post-hook "service apache2 start" -d setzco.dyndns.org

The DNS challenge might be an option as well, but I have a hard time remembering whether dyndns/Oracle Dyn is supported by clients, and on what free/paid plans it is supported.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.