Registering multiple domains separately on a single web server

I have a server that we built (SSD provider) under Ubuntu Server. We currently host two domains, and although it is unlikely that they would go their own ways, I would like to be able to keep them separate, so if a domain is moved to another Linux box, we can take the cert the existing cert out of the existing setup.

As well, can we register a single domain name (say, www.mydomain.org), and then add a second server name (www.hisdomain.org) to this ?

Yes.

How? Depends on the client you (are going to) use.

Hi @jfmessier,

If you're using Certbot, this is the default behavior as long as each request mentions only one domain and doesn't mention the other domain.

If you're using Certbot, this is the default behavior as long as your new request also mentions all of the names covered by the existing certificate (not just some of them). You may be prompted whether to "Expand" the existing certificate, or you can specify it with --expand.

Note that --expand has no effect unless your request mentions all of the names covered by the existing certificate. For example, if you got a certificate for www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org, and then requested a certificate for mydomain.org, www.hisdomain.org, and hisdomain.org with --expand, this would not do what you intended because you failed to mention www.mydomain.org in the request.

By client, you mean the web browser ? Google Chrome. The web server is Apache. The OS is Ubuntu server 16.04.

No, we mean the Let’s Encrypt client like Certbot, acme.sh, etc.

Great !!! That will make my life easier. We have a community web site currently hosted on the same server as someone else’s web site (personal blog). And we recently decided to go ahead with full SSL on our site, but our $$$ is very low, barely enough to pay for the hosting… We should then be able to go ahead soon with the certs.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.