Rate limit issue with dokku

My domain is:
foo.example.com

I ran this command:
We use dokku and letsencrypt together and I have been facing rate limit issue after trying some time.

It produced this output:
acme: error: 429 :: POST :: https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/acme/new-acct :: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: Error creating new account :: too many registrations for this IP: see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt

This is on production server. Right now my production sites are running without SSL and this is a big issue. Kindly help me on this.

Welcome to the community @railsfactory-umar

Here is the info from the Rate Limit page related to your limit

You can create a maximum of 10 Accounts per IP Address per 3 hours. You can create a maximum of 500 Accounts per IP Range within an IPv6 /48 per 3 hours. Hitting either account rate limit is very rare, and we recommend that large integrators prefer a design using one account for many customers. Exceeding these limits is reported with the error message too many registrations for this IP or too many registrations for this IP range.

Are you a system integrator managing large numbers of sites? Otherwise it looks like your dokku setup is very wrong. You should be storing Let's Encrypt data in persistent storage.

Please provide more info about your setup.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

7 Likes

How do you register more than 10 times per 3 hours? Is everything in Dokku not stored on disk?

I don't follow. Why is this on your production server? Did you succesfully manage to implement Let's Encrypt using Dokku on your acceptance environment using the Let's Encrypt staging environment?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.