Problem with WIND 3g connection and Let's Encrypt certificate

"State bloccando il mio sito, mi dite perché?"

1.1.1 is not that new. :smiley:

1 Like

You would be surprised how often we see older versions.

2 Likes

Yeah, 2018 is not old either.

1 Like

And they will try to sell me a new connection service with 10Gb Data!!

Many (all?) Fedora, CentOS, and RHEL distros have 1.0.x and back-port security fixes but leaving the features otherwise as is. My current AWS EC2 is RHEL for example and is at 1.0.2k. (a version 1.1.1 is available on the side but is used with openssl11)

2 Likes

Yes, they will try.

Why are you hosting your website in the US? Each http request will have to go through an undersea cable from your users in Italy.

Fedora shouldn't, it's released every 6 months. I'm kinda debian/ubuntu-centric.

2 Likes

I stand corrected :slight_smile: (I was guessing since it was upstream and we don't see Fedora as much as CentOS and RHEL). This came up a lot last fall when we were dealing with expiry of DST Root CA X3

@eddymouse Sorry to sidetrack your main issue which is as 9peppe describes

2 Likes

yes I know. And they don't even offer an SSL certificate included in the package.
At the end of this year We Will move to Serverplan in Italy...

I sent a PEC to Wind and crossing fingers... Thank you for your help...

2 Likes

There are interesting hosting companies in France and Germany too. I often find Italian ones to be too expensive.

2 Likes

Any to suggest?

I usually go for virtual private servers, and you can get those for 5€/month on most services (Hetzner in Germany, Scaleway in France, Digital Ocean in the Netherlands and elsewhere, AWS lightsail maybe even in Milan).

For shared hosting, I'd probably consider OVH in France. (but I have not checked if they play nice with Let's Encrypt.)

Altervista is an option too, if you can move your domain with them (check if they give you the services you need)

1 Like

OVH no. The hosting server are slow compared to italian equivalent offer. And the customer care default response is: this is not our business

check this thread: Web Hosting who support Let's Encrypt

2 Likes

And also the hosting provider table at Does My Hosting Provider Offer HTTPS? | Certbot. They are probably not in sync with each other unfortunately.

I also would like to say I'm not sure if switching hosting provider for your website is appropriate in your situation, as from most points of the world your site is presenting a Let's Encrypt certificate perfectly.

Is that "WIND" thing the sites hosting provider or an ISP providing internet connectivity for a client? Because as I see it, that "WIND" provider is doing a Man in the Middle attack on any connection to your site, right?

4 Likes

Is this ISP blocking/intercepting other sites secured with Let's Encrypt certificates? Like, on a system that's not working to get to your site, can it get to https://helloworld.letsencrypt.org or https://valid-isrgrootx1.letsencrypt.org?

3 Likes

Wind3 is a (very big) residential, mobile and business ISP in Italy.

No, it would be well known if it did so. It's probably domain or IP address based.

2 Likes

So if Wind3 is the problem here, there's absolutely no reason to change the hosting service provider for the site, right?

3 Likes

Yes, it's unrelated to this issue.

It's just the ~1 second round trip to the US for every one of their users that prompted the hosting provider question.

2 Likes

Wow, I didn't realize that—thanks for pointing it out!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.