Passing Challenges with Non Stadnard Web Ports - DNS is Probably BEST

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: no yet running

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My operating system is (include version): server2012

My web server is (include version): Apache 2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

Hi
I have been told that a webserver I want to set up can only be issued port 1035. This is totally out of my control. Is it possible to use this service on a port other than 443, or do I need to be looking elsewhere as a solution? Thanks
John :slight_smile:

Hi @haverer

Port 443 is the port for https, you can’t change this for the outside. You could install another Webserver f. e. apache2 which listens on 443 and than use a Reverse proxy to forward requests to 1035

Regards
FlorianTaut

Thanks for such a quick reply. I’ll relay this to the people who are giving these restrictions and tell them to sort it :slight_smile:

To be perfectly clear, once you have the cert, you can use it on whatever port(s), and for whichever service(s), you want. But to obtain the cert, you must be able to either:

• Accept inbound connections on port 80 (for the HTTP-01 challenge)
  • Accept inbound connections on port 443 (for the TLS-SNI-01 challenge)
  • Add a DNS TXT record with a specified value

You will need to do one of these to obtain a cert, and at least every 90 days to renew it.

2 Likes

Hi @haverer

Can you also ask your team why they only are opening port 1035.

Most browsers use port 80 for HTTP and port 443 for HTTPS traffic so not having these ports open can lead to user not being able to use your application without specifying port 1035

Andrei

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.