Out of rate limit. Need help!

Hello guys. Help me please, I tried 5 times to get a certificate for my domain and subdomain www and now seems like I’m out of rate limit. But why? I’m just stupid and see this certbot kinda for the first time… Any chance to reset the limit? I thought it’s only for guys who have certificated around 50 domain everyday… I have only one but failed… How to fix it or how long have I wait to be able get the cert again? Thanks!

1 Like

I think there should be at least some protection from the fool (someone like me) :wink:

1 Like

Some of the rate limits don’t last very long. Some of them can be worked around.

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

2 Likes

Sorry, but here’s no private message. Don’t want to show my domain here in public. Please tell me how long have I wait? I read about 1 week, but it may not be my case…
My domain is: example.com

I ran this command: certbot certonly --standalone and next time certbot certonly --webroot

It produced this output: Don’t remember

My web server is (include version): nginx the last version

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: It’s a secret man!

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): I can

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No, I use VPS

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): the last one cause it’s Ubuntu 20.04

I did it. Waiting for the answer …

We will be able to help you best if you provide your domain name and the exact error message/rate limit detail, see:

There are a few rate limits that you can run into after running the same command 5 times for the same domain(s). Some users run into the Duplicate Certificate limit when they issue for the same domain name 5 times in a week and don’t keep the certificate- like when testing a new server and tearing it down and rebuilding. It takes a week from the first issuance to be able to issue again. Meanwhile, some users run into the Failed Validation limit if they have 5 failed validations per account, per host name, per hour. That will take 1 hour to clear before you can issue again. Please read your error message and the docs to determine to determine which rate limit you are hitting. Then, we can help you find and fix the problem.

2 Likes

It should be possible to find the error message(s) in /var/log/letsencrypt/.

1 Like

I reainstall my OS after I failed. A few minutes agot I tried to obtain a new one cert and failed again. Logs:

{
“type”: “urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited”,
“detail”: “Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: mysite.com,www.mysite.com: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/”,
“status”: 429
}

:confused: I don’t know what I can do :confused:

certbot --nginx -d mysite.com -d www.mysite.com

An unexpected error occurred:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: mysite.com,www.mysite.com : see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

cme.messages.Error: urn:ietf:params:acme:error:rateLimited :: There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: mysite.com,www.mysite.com: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/
2020-05-20 05:19:18,925:ERROR:certbot.log:An unexpected error occurred:
2020-05-20 05:19:18,925:ERROR:certbot.log:There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: mysite.com,www.mysite.com: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/

Have you read that link? It explains what the rate limit means, and how you can work around it.

Do you still have the private keys for any of the 5+ valid certificates that exist?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.