No HTTP challenge available for domain

Get this error message trying to generate a certificate in Wordpress on AWS using Lightsail installation of Wordpress:

No HTTP challenge available for domain 34.200.243.41. Original response: {“type”:“urn:acme:error:malformed”,“detail”:“Error creating new authz :: Issuance for IP addresses not supported”,“status”:400}

I have followed these instructions to the letter: https://docs.bitnami.com/aws/apps/wordpress/#how-to-install-the-wp-encrypt-plugin-for-lets-encrypt-certificate-generation

Get an error message on the last step: failed to create symbolic link ‘opt/bitnami/apache2/conf/server.key’ file exists

Have no clue where to start. Learned all I’ve done so far via Google searches and Bitnami’s website. Never used Bitnami or AWS or Lightsail before. Need help with this last piece to get certificates working on my website.

Let's Encrypt only issues certificates for fully qualified domain names. They do not issue certificates for IP addresses.

Do you have a domain name? Is it properly set as the site URL in WordPress?

Patches – THANK YOU! It’s that simple… I am still waiting for my domain registrar to finish processing my domain name request, so I’ve been using the IP to work for now. Thanks to you, I know this will never work until I finish up that part of things – setting up my domain name.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I will stop pulling my hair out and be patient enough to wait for the domain registration process to complete!

P.S.: Reading is fundamental… Had I simple read the ENTIRE error message, I would have already know. Stress…

Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.