NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID but certificate is valid

Dealing with multiple users stating they are getting a certificate error with our website that we simply cannot reproduce.

Error: NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

We have run SSLChecker reports with no issues, the certificate expires 4/8/2021 and was renewed on 1/8/2021.

Is it possible there are general DNS issues going on? Caching? I'm stumped.

My domain is: therathink.com

My web server is (include version): apache2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu 20

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: VPN

2 Likes

Hi @net,

One thing that could cause this is if Apache wasn't restarted correctly after the certificate renewal: strangely enough, it's possible for some of the Apache worker processes on the server to have a different certificate from others. This is a bug in Apache.

You could try making sure that Apache is completely stopped on the server and that no copies are running at all, then restart your Apache.

This can also happen due to browser caching but, if so, the problem should not really last very long or be very widespread.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

One other possible problem is "www" vs non-www.
The cert seen in use doesn't cover the "www" name.
But DNS does point to the same IP for both.

2 Likes

Thanks @schoen.

I have done two full server reboots thinking that was the problem (having seen it in other posts, gotta do my homework) as well as checked command certbot certificates and everything looks properly setup.

2 Likes

I agree with that concern, but I think the error produced should be different, since although the certificate presented for the www name is mismatched, it isn't expired. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

We have setup forwarding rules to push www to non-www via htaccess, same with http pushing to https via apache virtual domains. But maybe that's insufficient?

NS Records also point to our IPv4 and v6

2 Likes

Agreed "expired 24 days ago" implies maybe a load-balancer in use or weird caching by something somewhere.

2 Likes

That's really weird; I don't think I've ever seen this problem before with that combination of circumstances.

Can you get any user who has this problem to send you the result of a DNS lookup for your site, or a copy of the expired certificate as seen by the browser? Can the users also try a different browser for comparison?

That's also very plausible, but it looks like this is hosted directly on a Linode VPS.

2 Likes

You might not have covered the case where someone types in the URL: https://www.therathink.com/
That URL would require a cert just to serve the redirection to the non-www name.

2 Likes

Interesting, that link actually did produce a cert error but not the aforementioned one. I'll issue a www.* cert now to resolve this specific nuance.

1 Like

You can issue one cert with both names on it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

As per your recommendation, done!

3 Likes

When trying a different browser OR a computer restart, the problem seems to resolve. It's very odd!

My users are unfortunately just not sophisticated enough to reproduce a DNS record check for us. I wish. Sorry about that.

2 Likes

The "Expired 24 days ago" does coincide with a previously issued cert:
crt.sh | 3468967991
that expired on Jan 3rd:

So I don't suspect a MITM type problem here.

2 Likes

Probably the bug @schoen mentioned with Apache childs not wanting to stop or something like that. Depending on how many good and how many bad child processes are active, it might be possible to reproduce this by hammering the server with lots of connections and automatically checking the certificate where you ignore all the valid certificates.

3 Likes

Correct, my review on crt.sh also points to these dates which is confusing. It makes it seem like a caching issue but I'm so confused how something like that could take place for a certificate?

2 Likes

Fascinating. So if we hit the maximum possible connections (as defined in apache2 settings) to push other users off the system, hypothetically their next visit would force cert review*?

1 Like

I have no idea. Also, I have no idea how you got this idea from my text :stuck_out_tongue:

I was merely saying you might see the erroneous certificate if you tried hard enough, i.e., made enough connections. But as it might be just a single buggy Apache child among perhaps hundereds (depending on your server of course) good Apache childs, you might need to make a lot of connections before you see a single erroneous certificate. Hence the "hammering".

2 Likes

I'm the first to admit I'm a noob! LOL

Re your addition: possible although we maybe have a few hundred concurrent users at once.

3 Likes

When the service starts it loads the current cert info.
And uses that until the next reload/restart.
But if any processes fail to stop on restart...
Then you might have some new and some old processes running.
Some with new cert and some with old cert.
This would mostly go unnoticed if the old and new are the same cert.
Like if the cert lifetime was for a year - you would not notice an old process and it would act just like a new one.
Only during a period of cert replacement would you come to realize that your web service is wonky.
I would stop the service and see if all of it has actually stopped.
If not, problem found - kill any remaining processes and restart.
If all did stop, then just restart and wait for any more complaints.

2 Likes